• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 XJ Front End Rebuild Question

mbarker9

NAXJA Forum User
My cuz wrecked his 2000 xj and we have figured out how to replace just ebout everyhting so far but we are kinda stumped on one peice. I don't really even know what to call the fan on the front of the motor. Its not the ratiator fan, its the once attached to the engine. I need to replace it but can't figure out how it comes off. Does anyone know what this is called and/or how it comes off? Thanks

Michael

My cuz wrecked his 2000 xj and we have figured out how to replace just ebout everyhting so far but we are kinda stumped on one peice. I don't really even know what to call the fan on the front of the motor. Its not the ratiator fan, its the once attached to the engine. I need to replace it but can't figure out how it comes off. Does anyone know what this is called and/or how it comes off? Thanks

Pretty sure we're talking about the belt-driven fan (AKA 'engine fan'), not the electric one that runs when the A/C is on. Assuming that's the case, see this thread for R&R instructions.

If you're going to pull and replace it, I'd recommend upgrading to the ZJ HD fan clutch at the same time; take a look here for part numbers. It's a very worthwhile upgrade.

That is the mechanical fan. There are 4 nuts on the front of the fan that you need to unbolt. Getting the fan and shroud out is not tough but it is a very tight fit. I usually remove the radiator upper crossmember, push the radiator forward, and squeeze the fan and fan shroud out really gently so as to not damage the radiator.

Back