• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What U-Joints Do You Use

S-P-I-C-E-R.

since my jeep wont see the same amount of abuse as most others, I used neapco "brute" in my front axles. used in my 96, didnt have a problem either.

since my jeep wont see the same amount of abuse as most others, I used neapco "brute" in my front axles. used in my 96, didnt have a problem either.

Bone stock, DD, no off road use, no heavy towing--yeah, most anything will do.

Lift, off road use, heavy towing--pay the counter man or pay the piper.

Spicer only. Regardless of use or duty cycle. It is worth the extra $5 each.

X-(n+1) Spicer.
Friend of mine ran a Jeep shop in N. Phoenix. Spicer was all they used in a stock style joint. 'Built some pretty hard-core stuff. They knew what would break.

I wanna say it was Warn(the winch company) who did a test a while back. Read about it in a mag. They rigged up a fixture to hold stub- and axle shafts, then apply torque until it snapped the shaft. I don't remember what the original purpose of the test was, I think they were testing aftermarket axle shafts to failure. The surprising result they got(at least it surprised them) was that for a given joint size, Spicer U-joints were consistently 10-20% stronger then any other brand.

I tow heavy and often. 3800 LB or more for over 45k (towing miles) on my 01 now. Replaced 2 rear Us
Both hard to be replaced on the road at big(er) bucks.
Was talking to my driveshaft man about a shaft with bigger U/CV joints. He replaced my clincking U with a Spicer and my problem went away.
Cheapest exta 5 I ever spent.

i have never broken a spicer. my yokes crack before my driveshaft u joints break, and my alloy outer dana44 shafts break first in my front axle.

put in any other u joint in there though and it will be broken the first wheeling run it sees. (not counting ,ctm,ox, expensive crap, etc)

I use the cheapo autozone brute force joints in my daily without issue, no off road, no towing, no lift, etc, nothing but commuting. Anything more you will want Spicer! I have seen the stock spicer joints hold up and still work fine at 250,000+ miles.

Does anyone make a 260 joint with 4 grease fittings? I prefer greasable but after a winter or two a couple of the cups stop taking grease leading to failure. The cups getting grease look like new the others dry. Non greaseable seem to hold up as long as the greaseable ones otherwise.
Any comments?
Ron

I have what I think is a busted spicer Ujoint right now. I have very minor visible play in it when using a pry bar. The u-joint came with my alloy USA front dana 30 shafts and is only a couple years old. I was surprised to see movement in it as it's mostly DD with light offroading and no towing at all.

I replaced every u-joint under my pile last year. I wanted them all to be greasable, so I put Spicers on the drive shafts, but I put Alloy X-Joints on the D-30 axle shafts since I could not find any greasable Spicer joints for that application. I believe Spicer now has the 5-297-1x for this but I haven't seen any independent confirmation. Check the application, there were two different u-joints used on the Jeep D30.

Now that I see all the support for spicers, I'm contemplating putting them in my Jeep. Which ones would I need (part number/model number)

Back