• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

recomendations: snow, rain, all around tire

scott00tj

NAXJA Forum User
First let me say I've searched, read posts on this and other sites, consumer reviews and done some research. I just feel like there is so much information and so many varying options I'm feeling lost in the information.

Since I trust the knowledge, opinions, and know how of NAXJA members more then any other forum I want to ask your option. I'm sorry for another tire thread.

I'm looking for 31" tires. I need something that is great in well, everything. This is for my '99XJ with is 99% daily driver. I need a great on road tire, but something that is also great in rain and the ohio winters.

My Wrangler has MTRs and they arn't great in the snow. The current tired on my XJ are Dunlop ATs and are mediocre at best in rain and snow. Any my wife's old LJ had Goodyear Wrangler SR-A, yeah, no.

Some of the tires I was looking at were Firestone Destination LE, Michelin LTX M/S, and the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2.

Since its an XJ board I was really hoping someone could give me their first hand experience with what they have run and what they have found works or not works.

I ran Cooper Starfires (re named the Discoverer H/T, I think) and liked them pretty darn well.
They were DDed for ~ 45,000 miles or better while I lived in Utah.
I wasn't real impressed with their loose dirt traction (at least, on a 30x9.5 at 32 psi...) but here is what I loved:
Snow traction. In Park City Utah, in the winter, with 4" of snow, I could *stomp* on the brakes to get into a slide, take my foot off the brakes and be back in control immediately.
Rain traction was good. I could spin the tires if I made a point of it but this was never an issue - the Jeep never felt squirrely in the wet.
Dry traction, ride quality & highway noise were all great. I had no complaints.
The only time these tires held me back or let me down was when they were very bald and it was very snowy/ icy.

A friend of mine, though, has fallen in love with the Yokohama Geolander series of tires. Two friends, actually - both were running them under Jeep Cherokees (one friend changed the tires over to a ZJ with similar results).
Apparently it is a great snow tire and DD, with exceptionally long wearing rubber.

I am running the Destination AT and the tire is good in rain and snow....icy conditions it's not as good. I have a coworker running the Revo on his pickup and he swears by them.

My wife runs the Michelin LTX M/S on her stock 98 XJ.Has had no problems in the rain & snow and ice that we have in Va, even had it in the sand on the Outer Banks.
They have lasted for over 60,000 miles,even with her heavy foot and not real good maintenance by me.

Mud tires suck in snow and rain, A/T's suck in mud.

BFG T/A All Terrain. Great snow/ice tire. Quiet and smooth riding on pavement. Long lasting. Holds the road in thunderstorm quantity rains. Works good off road in everything but deep mud.

The BFG's are much better than the Destination A/T I have now.

I've had pretty good luck with Nokian Vaativas for all season use, though I don't think they're great in mud. I think if you need serious mud performance you're going to have trouble meeting the other criteria.

Currently running the GY Wrangler Silent Armor on both of our XJ's, 235/75R15. Satisfied with the over all performance.

The Goodyear Duratrac is the highest rated A/T tire right now, and it is also the Highest rated NON-stud tire for the snow, while being Stubbable!

The Goodyear Duratrac is the highest rated A/T tire right now, and it is also the Highest rated NON-stud tire for the snow, while being Stubbable!

Not an A/T according to Tire Rack. It's a commercial on/off road traction tire. Did come out on top in that category however. Obviously a good tire.

I'm using ProComp Xtreme All Terrain. Very aggressive tread for an A/T. But I also like the BFG and General A/Ts. They're more street-oriented in my estimation.

Spend some time on the Tire Rack site. Learn the differences between their reviews and surveys and tests. Huge information there.

Firestone Destination AT... I have them, they are incredible for what you are looking to do, nearly unstoppable in snow. I prefer them over the BFG AT's for mostly on road duties. The BFG's, I did not care for in the rain too much, they tended to break loose sometimes.

I'd stay away from Goodyear Wrangler RT/S tires. Damned things are worthless in any sort of wet conditions. Got rid of them well before I had to try them in snow.

I never had a problem with MT/Rs on my XJ in snow. My 33x12.50s are siped, and that makes a pretty big difference in snow.

I've got Wrangler Silent Armors on my CTD, and aside from wearing a little fast, they're a good tire as well.

WEll, the new MT/r Kevlars are pretty darn amazing, but pricey. Otherwise, my top pic is the Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVO.. best AT tire I have EVER owned.
Next would probably be the Dayton Timberline A/T.. and 3rd, which I have no first hand experience with, is the Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac.

And for those that think BFG A/Ts are the king of tires.. they FAIL. I have nothing but trouble with them on my XJ, wet pavement = wheel spin and hydroplaning, which would mean ice = epic fail.

Some of the tires I was looking at were Firestone Destination LE, Michelin LTX M/S, and the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2.

You are on the right track.
Michelins are the best, But are insanly priced.
Revos are VG (Mid priced) but no better than the Firestones.
The Firestones have a very big price advantage over the other 2 listed.

If cost is a non issue go with Michelin.
If cost is a factor you cannot go wrong with the Firestones.

Just my opinion!!

PS: I agree with Johnnie Walker, The BFG ATs Suck, I hated them, Expensive, Too noisy, rough riding, slid all over in the rain & snow, I do not understand the cult Like following they seem to have!

Last edited:
Toyo m/t 's are the best all around tire I have ever ran. I ran them in mud, snow, sand, dirt, and rocks. They do very well in all conditions. Just did a 120 mile expedition out in the high desert in 8 - 12 inches of snow with muddy /rocky stream crossings and rocky canyons; never got stuck. My buddy followed me in his YJ he also has the Toyo M/T's 35x13.5s. We never had to use our winches. They are new to me only have had them for 3 months but so far I have been impressed. Very expensive though.

Yokohama Geolander AT's, have 265/70's on my KJ and they rock in the sand, hold like glue in the rain, and are very quiet on the road. Night and day difference in noise from the MTR's it was running. And they totally out preform the Silent Armors I ran before them. They still dig good in the mud, and in the .0001 inch of snow we got the other night I couldn't break them loose pulling on the highway. I got all 4 for only $480 shipped.

Take a look at definity Dakota a/t they are manufactured by Cooper I picked up a set on craigs list for 160 bucks and Am very impressed they have about 40% tread left and are still very solid my dad also just picked Up a brand new set of these at pep boys in 31x10.5 he payed 530 out the door
With an alignment. In my opinion not bad all it's a great tire at a good price

Mud tires suck in snow and rain, A/T's suck in mud.

BFG T/A All Terrain. Great snow/ice tire. Quiet and smooth riding on pavement. Long lasting. Holds the road in thunderstorm quantity rains. Works good off road in everything but deep mud.

The BFG's are much better than the Destination A/T I have now.

+1. The BFG A/Ts are pretty decent all around except for deep mud. I'm running 33x12.5R15s and I am very happy with them. Decent for wheeling, excellent for snow and rain, also wear is very good. I've had them for 2 years and they are still over 70% tread. Not the greatest tires for wheeling but still hold their own once aired down to 12 psi.

I think it's the siping. Good winter tires are heavily siped, probably for more biting edges. Probably a softer compound too. Work great.

But I find in mud the sipes tend to anchor the mud, keeping it from clearing. So solid knobby tires with big voids work best in mud.

I find mud tires work better on rock than winter tires because the solid lugs don't tear up as badly. But other than wear, both get the job done.

Back