• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Issues

BIG98XJ

NAXJA Forum User
let me first start out by saying the AW4 is in my YJ, it does not have any electronics hooked up. My old AW4 took a dump so I swapped in a different one. But now it will not stay in park nor go into any gear. Linkage is working perfect, have proper fluid level and torque converter seated properly when installed. The guy I got the tranny from said he stole the torque converter lock up solenoid but when I dropped the pan they all seem to be there. Any suggestions??

Did you attach the throttle valve cable?

Another idea - did you check the spline counts on the output shaft of the transmission and the input shaft of the transfer case? Since you say it won't stay in park, my bet is that the new tranny is from a 90 or earlier and the case is from a 91 or later, so they aren't engaging at all.

Another possibility is that the shift linkage cable is misaligned and so the shift gate is keeping the tranny from dropping into any of the gear positions.

Did you attach the throttle valve cable?

Another idea - did you check the spline counts on the output shaft of the transmission and the input shaft of the transfer case? Since you say it won't stay in park, my bet is that the new tranny is from a 90 or earlier and the case is from a 91 or later, so they aren't engaging at all.
Another possibility is that the shift linkage cable is misaligned and so the shift gate is keeping the tranny from dropping into any of the gear positions.

I think this is the ticket, I`ll know tomorrow when I pull the case off and count the splines, I was told the tranny was from a newer xj so well see if it is the 23 spline

The not staying in Park is either 1) shift adjustment, or 2) the transmission park lock is damaged.

Just gonna throw a stupid question out there - is your transfer case in neutral? :)
I actually know someone who spent a lot of time after a motor swap fighting with a transmission issue exactly like this one. Guess what it was?

Fortunately, I had done my part already and he was dealing with the remainders himself by then.

It wont stay in park or go into any gear

Gears are a series of clutches and brakes working under hydraulic pressure from the pump when the engine is running.

Park is STRICTLY mechanical.

You have a STRICTLY mechanical problem as regards PARK--cable adjustment or its busted internally.

Or the tranny and transfer case aren't even talking to each other, which is what I'm hoping is the case. It's fairly simple to take off the transfer case and toss a 21 spline one on.

Or the tranny and transfer case aren't even talking to each other, which is what I'm hoping is the case. It's fairly simple to take off the transfer case and toss a 21 spline one on.

Im almost certain this is the case, Im pulling the D300 off tomorrow to count the splines on the tranny.

UPDATE: The transmission was a 21 spline. I purchased a correct splined AW4 and put it in. It now stays in park but will not move in any gear, I double and triple checked the fluid but no go? Is there something Im not thinking of?

Did you hook the throttle valve cable up? That and fluid level are all I can think of.

Did you hook the throttle valve cable up? That and fluid level are all I can think of.
The throttle valve is not hooked up due to this being manually shifted with the shifter. Im going to pull the pan and check the condition of the filter, thats all I can think of.

On the AW4 the throttle valve should be connected up even when shifting with the shifter... I'm not sure if not connecting it up will make it not shift at all, but it is something I would try.

The throttle valve is not hooked up due to this being manually shifted with the shifter. Im going to pull the pan and check the condition of the filter, thats all I can think of.

The THROTTLE PRESSURE CABLE is necessary for the AW4 to work properly. It is NOT a kickdown cable. It doesn't matter if you are shifting manually or not.

The THROTTLE PRESSURE CABLE varies the hydraulic pressure sent to the valve body depending on the position of the throttle plate.

Hook up the throttle pressure cable as my esteemed colleague Kastein has already suggested.

Back