• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

caliper help

angrygiant

NAXJA Forum User
im in the process of finishing a 6in lift so i had to get extended brakelines and brakefluid leaks out of where the bleeder screw is and dont want to over crank that bolt in anything i can look for? a seal or something that could be hidden somewhere on that? or put silicon around it? any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you didn't remove the bleeder screw then it's most likely nothing more than a piece of trash/rust trapped somewhere. Pull the bleeder screw out, clean and inspect it. The bottom of the screw has a tapered mating surface to match that of the caliper, if this area doesn't have a perfect seat then you will have a leak. This is most likely the issue.

You may have to replace it, but they aren't expensive. While it's out, you might want to SLOWLY apply the brake pedal to flush anything out -if you mash too hard fluid will spray out like a water gun.

I hope this helps.

......its that bolt that you screw the breakline on with that im seeing the leak from

Then it's not the bleeder screw that's leaking.

That bolt is called a banjo bolt. There are two copper washers (gaskets) that go with it. One of them most likely is scratched or there is debris in there.

Pull off the banjo bolt and take it to the parts house with you and get new gaskets. Be sure the i.d. is not too big, they should closely match the diameter of the bolt. You will need 2 per caliper. Get a can of brake cleaner while you are there.

!!Make sure everything is squeaky clean!! Use the brake cleaner.

Put one gasket on the banjo bolt first, then the banjo fitting (it's on the end of the brake line), then the second gasket, then install it all on the caliper. It shouldn't take too much torque to tighten it. Check your service manual for the torque value.

Bleed the brakes.....

Make sure EVERYTHING is super clean while you are doing this!! Failing brakes are a VERY bad thing.....:flame:

Then it's not the bleeder screw that's leaking.

That bolt is called a banjo bolt. There are two copper washers (gaskets) that go with it. One of them most likely is scratched or there is debris in there.

Pull off the banjo bolt and take it to the parts house with you and get new gaskets. Be sure the i.d. is not too big, they should closely match the diameter of the bolt. You will need 2 per caliper. Get a can of brake cleaner while you are there.

!!Make sure everything is squeaky clean!! Use the brake cleaner.

Put one gasket on the banjo bolt first, then the banjo fitting (it's on the end of the brake line), then the second gasket, then install it all on the caliper. It shouldn't take too much torque to tighten it. Check your service manual for the torque value.

Bleed the brakes.....

Make sure EVERYTHING is super clean while you are doing this!! Failing brakes are a VERY bad thing.....:flame:
Good points here. Also make sure the block on the end of the brake hose is oriented correctly to the caliper. If it is not it will not sit flat and it will leak. Make sure no part of that block is resting against any part of the caliper.

X2, those copper crush washers are very important and cannot be reused.

and make sure one of the old washers isn't still stuck on the old lines. Doubling up an old one on top of a new one will also cause a leak. I would take the line off the caliper, double check that there isn't an extra one on there, and throw on a new set of crush washers...then bleed. Doesn't take long, Brakes are important yunno?

X2, those copper crush washers are very important and cannot be reused.

They can be is you anneal them first. Heat them up red hot and then let them cool either by quenching them in oil or air cooling. Makes them soft again. However, new ones are always better.

I actually just had this problem. Just fixed it today actually. There are copper washers that keep that break line from leaking. I just replaced those and bled the lines and I'm good as new! Not sure where you buy these at, cant be hard to find, cause I just had my alignment shop fix me up while they were doing my alignment. Best of luck!!

Back