• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Learn me on bump stops

Explosive

NAXJA Forum User
Going to order my lift next week. Goin with the Rustys 4.5" spring pack kit. Will be running 33's (once I work over my fenders a little) and I have read some on bumps tops but still don't fully understand what I'm going to need for my own application. Or where to buy them. If someone could give me the low down it'd be appreciated.

What you will need to do is flex the suspension to see if you will need them. You would need bumpstops to keep the tires from pushing too far up into the fenders. You might also need them if your up travel on the suspension is greater than the up travel on your shocks. If that happens, you will destroy your shocks in short order (don't use the shocks as bumpstops).

The easiest and most economical bumpstops (for the front at least) is hockey pucks. Easy to use because they are in 1 inch increments. While you have everything apart, drill a hole in the center of the spring perch. Then drill holes in the center of the hockey pucks and just bolt them in there.

P1040617.jpg

For the rear, I found I have never really needed them.
That said, if you do, there are lots of options. You can get longer ones from Rustys http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=RC-BS12-XJ&Category_Code=COILS
DPG makes some nice plates for the rear : http://www.dpgoff-road.com/site/dpg_adj_bumpstop_plates.htm

I also made these using the stock ones, a piece of angle and a piece of box tubing.

P1030189.jpg

Going to order my lift next week. Goin with the Rustys 4.5" spring pack kit. Will be running 33's (once I work over my fenders a little) and I have read some on bumps tops but still don't fully understand what I'm going to need for my own application. Or where to buy them. If someone could give me the low down it'd be appreciated.

At 4.5" on 33s, expect to need to extend the bump stops. I'm at about that height on the stock ones with 31s, and under severe flex I can rub the fender wells at the front. The rear hasn't been as much of an issue, but my XJ originally had the UpCountry suspension from the factory, which apparently specified longer bumpstops. Haven't been able to confirm or deny that yet, so take it for what it's worth.

JKS makes some really nice adjustable ones for both the front and rear (similar to DPG's approach), but they're on the expensive side. Check here for them.

As always, YMMV and depending on the type of wheeling you're doing they may not be 100% necessary, but for what you're aiming for I'd be inclined to recommend doing them.

Alright, for the front were you able to flex it out then shoved the pucks between the coils then bolt it down or does it require disassembly ? I know I'll need rears as my stock one have been ripped off.

You can squeeze the pucks between the coils and bolt them down easily. I counter-sunk the hole in the top puck to keep the bolt head from tearing up the factory upper bumpstop.

You will need to remove the spring to bolt the pucks down. I tried letting them just flop around in there, and eventually they all fell out.

Check out the prothane coil inserts.

I did not have to remove the springs to bolt the pucks down. Depending on how tight the coils are wound, you might have to pry the spacing between a wind apart to sneak the pucks in.

As I said though, to drill the hole in the spring perch, you'll have to do it when you are swapping the springs out and don't have them in there.

I did not have my pucks bolted in originally. I instead used some roofing adhesive to stick them together once I shoved them in the coil. It kept them from falling out or moving around. With experience and hindsight on my side (and yours now hopefully), it was a bigger PITA than it was worth, especially if you ever have to take the coils out again or want to change the amount of pucks.

There are a ton of options for front bumpstops too, but the pucks seem to be the cheapest route to go.

Yea I like the pucks up front, I think I could snake the pucks between the coils and the same with the socket/long handled ratchet to bolt them down. I guess this means I'm also going to have to decide how much fender I want to cut...

Back