• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help identifying electrical part

XJBucko

NAXJA Forum User
I had the hood open on my 89 LTD and noticed that there a white ceramic power resistor (I guess that's what it is - presumably high wattage) bolted to the engine compartment left inner fender near the air intake. The ceramic has cracked in half and whatever it is, it's dangling by it's wired.

Does anyone know what it is, what it does, and where I can find a replacement? Thanks.

It's the fuel pump ballst resistor. You have 2 choices. You can replace it or you can bypass it. If you bypass it, your fuel pump will be noisier.

Exactly. If you bypass it just jumper it with a piece of wire of equal gauge, 14 ga. if memory serves me.

EDIT: the fuel pump ballast resistor was eliminated by Jeep 95+.

Hi Guys:

Thanks for the info. I'm finally getting around to solving this problem (after fixing a bunch of other stuff). Anyone know the part number for ballast is or where I can find one online. I've done some Googling for the part but havn't had any success.

Don't know about a part number; but I replaced mine by going to a junkyard and pulling one (and the metal screw) out of a jeep there. I'm pretty sure it was a $1 part, price of admission.

Not sure if it's the same resistance, but any decent parts store should have ignition coil resistors in stock, and they look exactly the same as the XJ's fuel pump resistor.

here's pics of a NAPA #ICR12 (I work at NAPA) there are a few different ones but I can't seem to pull up any numbers on the resistance levels of them :dunno:

547016.jpg

547017.jpg

547018.jpg

It's a 1 ohm resistor. I don't recall what its power rating is. Personally I would just bypass it, I did this on my MJ before it was even mine (was the PO's mechanic/drinking buddy) and it has continued to work fine for another 30+ thousand miles.

Not sure if it's the same resistance, but any decent parts store should have ignition coil resistors in stock, and they look exactly the same as the XJ's fuel pump resistor.

here's pics of a NAPA #ICR12 (I work at NAPA) there are a few different ones but I can't seem to pull up any numbers on the resistance levels of them :dunno:

547016.jpg

547017.jpg

547018.jpg

My old notes say ECH ICR14 but I have simply bypassed these for a number of years.

My old notes say ECH ICR14 but I have simply bypassed these for a number of years.

Thanks for your note Joe. I managed to find an OEM one on line for about $5. I haven't received it yet of course so I'm not absolutly sure it's the right part but I think it is. I'll post bac when I confirm it's the right part.

Back