• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bad missfire when cranking warmed-up 4.0 engine.

streetxj

NAXJA Forum User
Yesterday when I arrived home from college, which is 15 miles away from where I live, I turned off the jeep like anyone would normally do when they park in their driveway. :D Five minutes later (engine still really hot at 200 degrees) when I crank on the jeep, it starts to misfire badly and keeps on even after revving it. Feels like it's running on 5 cylinders. Then I started her up again and still doing the same thing, I revved it and it progressively went away. Then cranked it on for the third time and it was fine. This event activated the CEL light. I drove to school today with the cel light on and it ran perfect and 1 hour and 15 minutes later, it cranked on smoothly and quickly and the CEL light was off.

Today, I arrived at a publix near my house and the jeep was off for like 15 minutes. Cranked it back on and the missfire was worse and the jeep even turned off by itself. Cranked it up again and the missfire continued and the intake was sucking much more air than it would normally do. Revved it to 4000 rpms, let it idle and turned it off. Cranked it on and it was better, but still a slight missfire, then revved it and it completely went away. Turned it off and cranked it right back up and there were no more problems. The CEL light was not even activated this time. It runs like a champ, but restarting the engine when it's hot shortly after operation is a pain in the :moon:. Can it be the computer, coil pack, fuel system, or something else?

Any advice will be appreciated. :thumbup:

What year?

I am guessing 2000/2001 from the coil pack you mentioned...

Probably heat soak. Search here for "heat soak" and you will find many threads on the subject, also pull the codes and see if it's a cylinder 3/4 misfire.

When you park it (good and hot) after shutting off the engine open the hood and let it cool for 30 minutes. If it starts Ok and no rough idle it is most likely heat soak.

Back