• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX-15, SYE, front shaft, u-joints... learn me something (ha!)

VAhasnoWAVES

NAXJA Forum User
'97, 4.0, AX-15, 231, 8.25, 4.5" of lift (+/-)

SYE is in the very near future... and ive been putting off this thread hoping ill find the info just by lurking since searching hasnt come up with much (opperator error i sure). but i have an 5 speed in my jeep and its SYE time. now... i understand that with variences in different kits (true SYE or otherwise) and that the best way to pick the right shaft is to measure and have it made. and thatlly happen, in due time. but i need a roller for the time being...

reading has showed me that the AX-15 is longer than the AW4 with a 231. is this correct? what shaft is typically used for the AW4 combo, a stock front from another AW4/231? does this mean itd be possibly too long for the AX-15? is there a better option as far as JY shafts for the AX-15? ZJ maybe?

does anyone have a database or a spare shaft laying around to measure full compress and extended lengths?

are all front shafts 1310 size u-joints like the yoke of the 8.25? or are the different sizes in the double cardan joint? if so... what are they?

i see some kits with flanges, some with yokes. i see some kits with seals or gaskets and others that replace the whole tail housing. which will i need for my jeep? will (for example) the flange on the RE kit bolt right up to the flange on a stock front shaft?

having read all this... would an easier option be to contact IRO and see what they suggest since as they sell their hack n tap with a reman'ed shaft? maybe they have gotten this question once or twice. haha.

and while we are on it, suggest me a SYE. full replacement or otherwise... money isnt particularly an option but if im going to blow it, itd be on a 241. just interested in a SYE and shaft to roll on until i can measure and order a shaft from tom woods.

id go to the JY and spend the day snooping around and measure, alas... i am miles away at school and want this installed by 2011. web wheeling on NAXJA for the time being. :repair:

Last edited:
You would be miles ahead researching all of the above, and coming back afterwards if you have any questions.

1) It's all here.
2) If it ain't here,and that's unlikely, it's on Go Jeep, JF, or MadXJ.

Look up different equipment options on part sites and see what u-joints are used where.

Look at the different SYE options by different manufactures. A lot of times they brag up why they do something, read it. Read reviews.

on a side note... id like to effectively gather this info here so that it comes up in a search right away. ive seen 2 or three threads asking this over the last 2 months that just seemed to fizzle out. i find it hard to beleive that no who frequents the forum knows and that the info has to be dug up.

it can be a bit overwhelming sometimes.

Back