• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A few problems/possible NSS

98XJ_Chris

NAXJA Forum User
Before i get into it...1998 Cherokee Classic / 4L I6 / AW4 / 170k / auto

So about a month ago i threw a CEL for a 2-3 shift solenoid which through searching ended up getting a great deal on 2 solenoids through a web site recommended by a few on here. About a week ago, i swapped in the 2 new solenoids and trans gasket/filter along with a new tensioner pulley and serp belt. Ran like new until this morning when it threw a CEL.

It ran through the gears perfect, but would not go into OD or TC lock up (im not sure which is the final drop in RPMs) for the 10 min drive to work. Left work, still had a CEL, but had OD this time. Ran the code when i got home....p0700 and p0705...

For the last 2 years it would VERY randomly not start in park and the reverse lights would not come on every now and again. For the last 2 months, it will not start in park once a week (starts fine in neutral) and the reverse lights dont work at all. With the code im obviously hoping its the NSS, but ill be wrenching on it this weekend so any other imput on things to look at would be greatly apprecitated.

Thanks in advance
Chris

Well, look at the OD / TC lockup solenoids, right?
And yes, your NSS probably out. Save yourself some money though and instead of replacing it, take it apart and clean all the (small, easily dropped and lost) copper contacts then pack it with dialectic grease and put it back together. A bunch of cross head screws if I recall.

I have read reports on the later models that if the NSS is dirty, that it may prevent the t/c from locking up. I'd address the NSS first.

After running the code and 10 miles of driving last night, CEL is off and running normal again. Guess ill pop that off this weekend and have a look. Im hoping its dirty and not cracked. Its got 170k, so should i be hitting it w/ some PB blaster now for getting it off this weekend?

PB wouldn't hurt. You might need it as rust is an issue where you are. There are numerous threads on how to clean and regrease the NSS. Be sure you have some dielectric grease on hand. The P0700 and P0705 are fairly classic NSS codes. Had them on my 98 when I got it. Took all of maybe an hour to remove, clean, reinstall and adjust the switch. End of codes...

hit it with LOTS of Pblaster. More than once.
I had a BASTARD of a time getting mine off after 80K miles on the clock.
Of course, I was on my back in a gravel parking lot with only a flathead screwdriver to pry with, so YMMV.

Back