• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help with this pulley

SINCITY192

NAXJA Forum User
88 xj 4.o L 6cyl
auto trans
I was working on the rig and i decided to change out the power steering pump and fan clutch and I cant get this pulley back on for the life of me!!!
I dont seem to have a bolt and a long enough threaded screw!!!
is there any other ways to get this thing onto the shaft the rest of the way?
I seriously have to work tomorrow and my pump and clutch are still out of the jeep!
please help!

I take it you are having troubly getting the PS pully on the pump.

Get a longer chunk of all-thread and some washers and nuts to press the pully back on. You need to use two nuts tightened against each other to hold the all-thread, run a third nut up the all-thread, slip the washer on and screw it into the pump shaft after setting the pully set in place. Hold the jamb nuts while turning the single nut toward the pump. A film of light oil on the pump shaft will ease the process.

Good luck!

For about $30 you can put down a deposit on the tool at Autozone. You get your money back when you return the tool.

Yup. Or some Autozones will help you change it on the spot. I know mine did, they asked me how it worked, rather that explain it, I just did it for them.

For about $30 you can put down a deposit on the tool at Autozone. You get your money back when you return the tool.

Did you try beating it down a little with a piece of wood and a hammer. But didn't you have to rent a puller to get the pulley off the old pump? It should have the stuff you need to get it back on the new pump.

winterbeater i was too scared of damaging something to do any bagging lol
but i ended up just waiting to the next day... calling off of work and going to rent the tool from autozone!!! I oringinally brought a puller from my job but the installer it came with didnt install a thing lol.
it just left me tempted to bag the hell out of it....
but i got it all back together now!!!
I noticed while putting my air cleaner back together that there was a brown milky oil all over those hoses inside!! Its there something other then a blown head gasket that could cause this? The head gasket was one of my first jobs on this jeep! I hope its not time to do that all over again that really was a PITA.....
plus its too cold to do that job outside.
thanks in advance for the advice guys and thanks for all the input!!!
I love this site!!!!

Did you clean those hoses after the headgasket repair? If not, likely left overs.

Make sure the CCV system is working properly so oil doesn't get thrown back into the air filter.

hey joe the head gasket repair was a likely over two years ago if im not mistaken
it was more or less when i first started to work on jeeps :)
but the only thing i can think of that was recently done, before this job (fan clutch and PS pump)..... would be the valve cover gasket and I change the oil since it was still winter oil in there..... i did this like a week or two ago..... but when i did the job i didnt notice any milkyness in the old oil? just the regular dirty oil...
and now when im not even doing anything with the oil and i notice some milky stuff in the hoses! so crazy!!!
also when i did the valve cover job i decided to take the little compartments apart (where the PCV or CCV hoses connect) on the inside of the valve cover and when i was cleaning them out some little gasket like things broke to shreads but it had i metal gasket too so i just use that being that i wouldnt even know where to look to even find one of those gaskets so i figured the metal ones should do! WAS I wrong?
they didnt seem that important?
thats about the only thing i can think of that went bad durring the job....oh yeah and i broke the PCV elbow thingy that goes into the top of the valve cover.
but i stuffed a smaller hose into it and i think it a hold up until i get a new elbow from somewhere!!
if worse comes to worse and the head gasket is the cause of the milky oil how soon do i need to get it fixed before it causes some real damage?

I think you are overthinking this. Milkyness in hoses is not something I would be worried about. If the oil in the pan looks like oil, then it's just oil. The engine block can and WILL hold water vapor if sat overtime. The only thing that saves the engine from that is the liberal coating of engine oil and the evaporation of it when the engine gets up to running temperature. The steam will rise to the top and condense in the hoses. Don't rely on hoses to tell you about the engine when the actual oil looks good itself.

-ensure you've got a functional thermostat and that you take long enough trips that the oil reaches +200*-- you need to get it hot enough to evaporate the moisture.

-repair the CCV elbow that has been cobbled together-- moisture can enter the hoses there and cause sludge/chum as well

-warm the engine to operating temp before you go anywhere-- more blow-by will occur and enter the hoses during cold operation.

you guys sound so right because after seeing the milkyness in the hoses i check the dip stick and at the first check there was a tiny bit of goop there at the tip of the stick... but after wiping it clean and looking for more repeatedly sticking the stick in and wiping, i couldnt get a single bit more on the dip stick...
it really sounds like some evaporation and condensation going on there!! Thanks guys
i think you just saved me alot of riping apart of the block!!!!!

question?
after the install of the new pump and the clutch i still heard a low sqeaking/squealing sound when it was running and i was bleeding the system kinda sounded like it was coming from the compressor area or underneath! I change the PS/ and clutch for a squeal in the front!!!
after driving of course and warming the jeep it went away but i hope nothing else is going bad.....
the good news is i found another straight six i am going to get from a dealer used
it has 147 on it, its a 94 grand cherokee
thats seriously all i want in life that jeep and a house for my kids!!
the guy wants 1795 for it so Im gonna go for it... that a give me all the time i nead to fix my XJ properly...

Back