• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is it the transmission?

GoBlue

NAXJA Forum User
I know the transmissions in the xj's are almost indestructible, but I may or may not have a problem with it. Mine is a 2000 auto...

Problem - Only from a stand still it feels like it slips and then catches upon initial acceleration, almost always. In my experience with crappy cars, you dont usually feel it catch, it just slips. Im not having any other problems with the shifting in any other gears.

What i think it could be - (but Im not an expert).
-The brakes could be catching, because they suck.
-The serpentine belt slips? (probably not)
-All my suspension is redone, so I pretty much ruled that out.

Note - I just put an SYE in myself, I did a good job if I say so myself. However, it was doing it before that anyway.

Any ideas? Sorry its so long, but I have run out of ideas.

Thanks.

Gotta review basics here for any transmission problem.

1. Be sure that the fluid is fresh (red) and that it is at the correct level on the dipstick.

2. Test your throttle position sensor. It is directly related to shifting characteristics on your transmission.

3. The factory service manual is really helpful in any further isolation of root cause. The problem could be electrical or mechanical.

Good luck and let us know what you find!

Make sure the transmission cable is adjusted correctly.

it could be starting out in 3rd gear? try shifting down to 1 on the shift lever and see if it starts out normal. mike

Back