• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Advice on axle assembly choices

Yardog

NAXJA Forum User
I am going to build a 2001 XJ for hunting and some wheeling in Eastern Oregon. I have been considering a Ford 8.8 rear and putting an ARB or E locker 4.56 gears and buying a G2 Dana 44 front. I want to build this thing so I can get my buddies and my gear in and out of various hunting spots without getting stuck. I also want to be able to drive this thing on the highway in the snow that is why I am leaning toward e lockers or ARB instead of lock right or detroit type. I don't want to waste money on the wrong set up. I already have a 8.8 from a 98 explorer. I'm new to this site and have never used a forum before but I need some input on this. Thanks

Go 4.88 gears.

I haven't ever used either of them.

IMO though, I would go with an ARB only for their reputation and having seen the product first hand.

FWIW, I have run with lockrites front and rear with no problem in the snow. You just have to get used to driving it (begin long winded debate about lockrites in the snow).

(begin long winded debate about lockrites in the snow).

I have Aussies and they work great, just don't be a douche nozzle and drive a sane speed and there are no issues.

oops

I have Powertrax in my YJ and I love them off road but hate them on road. I would like to be completely locked or completely unlocked. But.... I don't really want to waste money on fancy lockers in these stock axle assemblies. I will do whatever it takes to make this thing perform the way I want it to.:dunno:

Then I'd try to get some advice from someone who has run both lockers. With no experience of either, I would stand by ARB due to their reputation and longevity/durability.

It really depends on how hard you plan on beating on them. I've seen D30s and 8.25s stand up to 33s (especially 33x10.50s) all day long on stock axleshafts with good u-joints (read: Spicer x760s).

The 8.25 and 30 will hold up to 33's all day long, way cheaper than swapping them out. 8.8 is not a bad option though, I wouldnt discourage you from it. For what you're doing, a front 44 would be a waste of money.

ARB's can have problems with the seals leaking when cold from the snow. I never had the problem on my XJ (30/44) but it was a nonstop problem on my dad's Range Rover (arb's front/rear) and I have seen it on other jeeps.

I've done about 15 snow runs on my detroit lockers, and as long as you don't stomp the skinny pedel, its never been a problem.

Thanks for everyone's input... Maybe I'll try Powertrax lockers only to start with and see how they do. Seems like the least expensive way to go just worries me about on slick highways with curves. I may have to drive too slow:scared:

Thanks for everyone's input... Maybe I'll try Powertrax lockers only to start with and see how they do. Seems like the least expensive way to go just worries me about on slick highways with curves. I may have to drive too slow:scared:

Aussie lockers are almost half the cost, and the same general design.

I'm referring to the Powertrax Lockrite lockers ($209.00). Just a mechanical goes into open carrier.

You still want the aussie. They are a LOT higher quailty than the lockrite, and are about $240.

That and I don't think there is a lockrite for your 8.25 - they are 27 spline only. The 29 spline 8.25 uses the $400 No-Slip locker from Powertrax.

Back