• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need a new Cam. Which one should I go with? Pics of damage

XJRunner

NAXJA Forum User
right as I was about to have enough money to cage this thing my lifter grenades. Can anyone pick out the bad lifters? I need a new cam now. I'm thinking about going to comp cams. I also found out that my rebuilt "030" engine is actually "060". pics!
1017001519.jpg

downsized_1017001518.jpg

1017001514.jpg

so my question is should I just get a stock cam or should I go to comp or crower?

You can weld up those lifters!

Just kidding. The dealer has some great Mopar break-in lube you should get and use.

This stuff is a bit more than "assembly lube" and is intended to keep the flat tappet lifters and cam happy until the initial wear-in period is complete.

Do as you will, and good luck.

Don't forget to run in the cam on first start up.

Are you thinking of just replacing the cam without dissassembly of the motor and checking all the bearings, etc? Where do you think that metal went?

not taking the engine apart any further. I'm trusting my dad who was a crew chief for a pro stock team and a stock car team and also has built multiple super charged and stroked engines on what to do

Are you thinking of just replacing the cam without dissassembly of the motor and checking all the bearings, etc? Where do you think that metal went?

good point...

definately takes more effort to manage our old school flat tappet cams these days w/ diferent oil standards. This is how i do

dsc01622.jpg

what do you guys think about castrol GTX 10w 40? I had normal Mobile 1 10 30 in it when the cam failed and after some reading I believe the oil is one of the main reasons for the failure

what do you guys think about castrol GTX 10w 40? I had normal Mobile 1 10 30 in it when the cam failed and after some reading I believe the oil is one of the main reasons for the failure

yes mobil 1 10 30 is for use in newer roller cam engines. I don't know anything about castrol. If i were breaking in new cam and lifters i'd prob go all out w/ some royal purpal/lucas oil/or amsoil. If you go on the cheap anything w/out the "SM" markings w/in the round seal should be fine as well.

Read

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/cms/

crap, i assumed it did w/ the "zddp additive" on the front of the stp bottle. And the cj-4 on the delo. back to searching, guess its getting harder than i thought.

GM EOS is still a good stand by for the ZDDP. Or ZDDP plus. Yes, it is getting harder to find high ZDDP oil. Even the CJ-4 diesel oils have reduced ZDDP.

For cam break in an easy locally obtainable oil that isn't too expensive is Valvoline Racing oil, NSL. This is not the VR1, but the black bottle racing oil. Comes in a few different weights, but watch out as there is also a synthetic. 10w30 Dino oil is VV850. My Napa can get it. I would still throw some extra ZDDP in it. Other alternatives are Joe Gibbs and Brad Penn break in oils.

I wouldn't use Synthetic for the break in. Maybe 5000 miles after break in, but not for break in.

Back