• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Steering Gear, Clockspring Q

xjh3

NAXJA Forum User
Putting in the new steering gear and obviously have the steering shaft disconnected. I forgot to secure the steering wheel before this and it turned 180 on me after I disconnected it. Unfortunately, it wasn't until this point that I remembered the fragile clockspring.

I turned it back straight the opposite of the way I thought it turned, although I'm not sure. I duct taped it in place so it has not turned since. My question is, how forgiving is the clockspring? If it's off one whole revolution, is it going to be destroyed the first time I go lock to lock? It can't be off by more than 360 degrees, and it may not even be off at all. If it is that crucial, is there any possible way to find out where the clockspring's center is?

Thanks in advance...

you may be ok if in fact it only turned at the most 360 degrees, not really sure tight the xj clocksprings are but i know i have done the same thing when pulling steering columns on other vehicles, column moves the wrong way and goes rolling around the shop... oops i have had good luck so far in trying to get it back as close to center as possible and putting it back together, not had one break yet.

hope this helps

1997. In and done, getting allthe air out of the system now. Gone lock to lock a bunch of times now and everything seems fine.

Just for reference...

ADJUSTMENTS CLOCKSPRING CENTERING
If the rotating tape within the clockspring is not positioned properly in relation to the steering wheel and the front wheels, the clockspring may fail during use. The clockspring must be centered if it is not known to be properly positioned, or if the front wheels were moved from the straight-ahead position with the clockspring removed during any service procedure.
WARNING: THE AIRBAG SYSTEM IS A SENSITIVE, COMPLEX ELECTROMECHANICAL UNIT. BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO DIAGNOSE OR SERVICE ANY AIRBAG SYSTEM OR RELATED STEERING WHEEL, STEERING COLUMN, OR INSTRUMENT PANEL COMPONENTS YOU MUST FIRST DISCONNECT AND ISOLATE THE
BATTERY NEGATIVE (GROUND) CABLE. THEN WAIT TEN MINUTES FOR THE SYSTEM CAPACITOR TO DISCHARGE BEFORE FURTHER SYSTEM SERVICE. THIS IS THE ONLY SURE WAY TO DISABLE THE AIRBAG SYSTEM. FAILURE TO DO THIS COULD RESULT IN ACCIDENTAL AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY.
(1) Turn the steering wheel until the front wheels are in the straight-ahead position before starting the centering procedure.
(2) Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. If the airbag has not been deployed, wait ten minutes for the system capacitor to discharge before further service.
(3) Remove the airbag module as described in this group.
(4) If the vehicle is equipped with the optional vehicle speed control, unplug the speed control switch wire harness connector in the steering wheel.
(5) Remove the nut that secures the steering wheel to the steering column upper shaft.
(6) Remove the steering wheel with a steering wheel puller (Special Tool C-3428B).
(7) Rotate the clockspring rotor clockwise to the end of its travel (Fig. 14). Do not apply excessive torque.
(8) From the end of the clockwise travel, rotate the rotor about two and one-half turns counterclockwise, until the rotor flats are horizontal. If the clockspring wire harness is not at the bottom, rotate another one-half turn.
(9) The front wheels should still be in the straightahead position. Install the steering wheel being certain to fit the flats on the hub of the steering wheel onto the formations on the inside of the clockspring. Pull the wire harness from the clockspring through the lower hole in the steering wheel hub. Tighten the steering wheel nut to 61 N·m (45 ft. lbs.). Be certain not to pinch any of the wiring between the steering wheel and the nut.
(10) Install the airbag module as described in this group.

Back