• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need the Cat. to Muffler Flange Gasket or not?

Troutboy

NAXJA Forum User
I just replaced the muffler back on my 2000 stock XJ. When I separated the muffler from the cat there was no gasket. The cat has a male flange that seats into the muffler's female flange (for lack of better terms).

When buying the parts online it specified a flange gasket that is silver in appearance and seats into the muffler flange. So, i threw it in there. But when tightening up the two bolts, the muffler and cat flanges wont mate. The gasket is wedged and bridging the gap.

Have I installed this wrong? First time doing this, and if someone's walked this road can you tell me what to do?

I'm wondering if I'm supposed to heat the gasket with a torch to soften it and then tighten the bolts.

As mentioned, there was no gasket when I separated the muffler from the cat. Thanks.

I've always used them and had no problem - did you perhaps use a flange gasket for the wrong year? They're required for 91/92 (not sure about 93-95 but I know 96 doesn't need it) as well, and I don't know if it is the same gasket or flange bolt pattern.

Also, not sure I understand what's going on, mind posting a pic?

Thanks for the reply. I removed the gasket and reassembled as previous. I will look into whether one is needed for this year. I have the TSM, but it isn't clear and shows no flanged coupling of the conv. and muffler.

Back