• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

T-Case Questions and 1 tons

Blackz71

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys im a new member here, im coming over from the chevy world as you can tell by my username.

I have a couple of questions that would be great if i could get some answers to.

I have a 98 xj thats stock, i also have a set of chevy 1-tons (d60/14 bolt)..
Being from the chevy world i like leaf sprung vehicles. So how hard would it be to leaf spring the front end of the xj (cj7 springs and shackles)?? as I can get them for free or very cheap. Is there anything important i should think about other than the welding of the front hanger, rewelding the spring perches and cenetering the wheel in the wheel well?

My other MAIN question is what transfer case would give me a passenger side drop? And will it bolt up to my stock 4.0 with an auto trans? Will it need a clocking ring? Any other info you would provide me with about my T-case decision would be awesome.

I know i will have a difficult time with my steering but i'm going to try and design a highsteer/crossover when the time comes. I know some may say this is somewhat pointless but i just dont like control arms, rad. arms and etc.

Thanks guys any advice is appreciated

when you weld the hangers, be sure you weld on (perimeter and rosette) a piece of plate along the unibody to spread the load as it is very thin metal. Frame stiffeners are in your future. try doing a little searching on here, check the stickies, and have at it! be sure to keep us updated

Thanks for the replys guys, I have been doing some research and i was reading about the dana 300. it sounds like a pretty good case, but my only question is will it bolt up to my stock transmission? (spline count, etc)?

I also read that a dana 20 is also a pass. drop Is there any pro/cons from a d300 or d20?

And yes i do plan to do some frame stiffining in my future, i was plaaing on a rollcage to stiffin the unibody up also.

Thanks guys Im going to continue reading into it but anymore input is greatly appreciated!

dana 300 will bolt up with a 3/4" thick adapter plate/clocking ring that can either be made or bought fairly cheaply. D300 has 23 spline input and will mount to a 91+ XJ transmission.

leafs in the front of an XJ?! it just can't be done! not possible! :roflmao:

kidding, one of the guys in my club did a front leaf conversion, it does pretty good. Nearly anything is possible with enough brainstorming, designing, and welding (in that order, some rinse/lather/repeat may be necessary.)

Back