• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 to AX15? Need some help, ok, lots of help...

MaxxTraxx

NAXJA Forum User
ok, so it's $1450 to have a shop rebuild my AW4 or a $550 gamble on a junk yard AW4. The AW4 is really the only thing I dont like about my XJ....so, how difficult is it to swap in a AX15 or other 5spd into my XJ? What parts would I need? Tranny, clutch assembly, motor/TC adapters? diffrent crossmembers? electronics?

i would think they would bolt up since they were both standard on the xj.

some things to keep in mind though.
the imput shaft spline count for the TC
the AX15 and AW4 are different lengths so the drive shafts will also have to be swapped.
you will need the cluth petal assembly and the linkage. there should be bracatry to mount to already there but double check for sure.

thats about all i can think of for now off the top of my head.

you should be able to pickup an AW4 for about $200 with reasonably low mileage... do you have any local boards that might have someone parting one out?

The AX-15 will require a flywheel, pilot bushing, clutch pedal and master (and skinny brake pedal), transmission, possibly t-case, driveshafts... I'm probably forgetting a few little things... and electronically you should only need to bypass the NSS... oh, and something for backup lights.

I wish Brett, The local yards want 350 or more for AW4's on a shelf with unknow milage/condition. I found a few online with grade A parts certs, known milage and the option to buy a 1yr warrenty, but those are 550, plus the 90 warrenty and 125-200 to ship it to me.

http://www.lonestarjeepclub.org/board/showthread.php?t=7289

still a little steep, I bet you could find one even cheaper if you're willing to wait for the right deal. or look on here and other boards for ones out of area, it shouldn't cost more than $100 to ship by ForwardAir from anywhere in the lower 48.

Unless you have a pull-n-sae type of junkyard for you, buying all the little pieces will probably end up costing you more than hunting down a used AW4. I would avoid a used AX15 as it may end up needing rebuilt anyway.

I went the other way, swapping a low mileage AW4 in place of a AX15. The tranny cost me $50 and I think I spent about $80 in all of the other misc stuff from the pull-n-save.

So what's wrong with the AW4. They are fairly stout trannies and most of the problems I've seen are on the electronics side (TPS, bad solenoid, etc) or operator error (wrong fluid).

I think it's easier to swap from standard to auto than the other way. You would almost need a donor for the parts and there would be a lot of work.

Where in Texas are you? I have a 96 AW4 that I holding for a guy who’s trans did the same thing. I gave him to the 3rd to come up with the money and after that, it's for sale. Asking $175 and can deliver as far north as Austin and Houston. That's my normal travel territory for work.

Tom

If you are spending the time swapping in a 5 speed, I would get something like a NV3550, NV4500, or even an NP435 that has a fantastic granny gear (no overdrive, though). These would need all the same parts as the AX15, and youwould have a stronger transmission.

Here is the length of the NP435/203/205 combo next to an AW4 and 231 (buddy's rig):

1000833ni8.jpg

MaxxTraxx said:
I have the 242 and know that it has the bigger spline count. The DS is not something I thought about. Would I need both or just the rear?

Both I think. I had an auto front driveshaft driveshaft laying around, it was a little longer... But the front does have a slip shaft so there could be room to make it fit. So you would need those plus the attached t-case (with linkage)and the crossmember. 1 new clutch kit, flywheel and the clutch pedal, shifter and hydraulic parts. In theory, I guess you could pull everything at once if you find a good donor at the yard.

If you go with an AX15 try to get a 1996 year model. This has the external slip yoke- an improved design in my opinion if you don't run an SYE. Or at least a 1994-1996 with the external slave cylinder (serviceable without removing the trans.)

well, after finding the awshifting site and checking that out, I am gonna stick out my AW4 and find a good used ne or just rebuild mine.

Tom, I am in plano, DFW area.

MaxxTraxx said:
well, after finding the awshifting site and checking that out, I am gonna stick out my AW4 and find a good used ne or just rebuild mine.

PM's are still down. I can see you sent me one, but can't read it.

MaxxTraxx said:

I see that you sent me a PM, but the server won't let me view it. You can communicate better with me through email: [email protected]

Back