• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

sound from brakes/front end

Texas Twitch

NAXJA Forum User
Starting two days ago, i hear a weird sound when braking. Originally, it was only when braking with more then 1/3 force, now it's happening when braking at all. It sounds a lot like when a catalytic converter is loose. That kind of metal-metal rattling, but it's repetitive. It's possible that I hear it when taking off from a light, but it's also possible my mind is playing tricks on me. Took a quick look underneath, and U-joint seems fine, caliper is tight, pads have material still left on them. It's coming from only the left (driver's) side, from what I can tell. Any ideas?

and the sound lessens the longer i drive it. Anyone?

There was a recent thread as well as some old threads about a similar sound that I and others have experienced when taking off from a light with moderate to heavy acceleration. I don't recall if anyone noticed it when braking.

I'm not sure if any certainty was reached about the cause--I know mine just went away at some point. Your situation could be completely different since it has to do with braking and is up front, but you could look up the recent thread--probably under exhaust or rattle or similar.

Been thinking about this.

OP--check your radiator and mechanical fan clearance. If your engine/transmission mounts are bad enough they might be in contact.

Remember to also check the engine mount bracket to block bolts--they like to fall out or break off.

Good luck.

Back