• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sway Bar Bushings

Mudshack

NAXJA Forum User
I run a 99 XJ Sport I6. How do I know what sway bar I have? I see 5 different bushing sets for 5 different size sway bars: 15mm, 23mm, 24mm, 25mm, and 28mm.

I am talking about the front only. My stock bushings are shot. (168k)

A dial caliper is a great tool for measuring thickness.

With the way Jeep threw in different sway bars with the drop of a hat, I would just measure it. I know on my 2001 it was a 24mm.

On a side note, replacing sway bar bushings was one of the best things I ever did on my Jeep. The change was day and night, and I only had 44k miles on mine.

What was the change, you felt? I can see that my current (stock) bushings are warped and don't fit snugly around the sway bar. What kind of change does it make?

It makes the front end feel tighter, quieter, less junky? While your hands are dirty, do the links and link bushings. If you have the time, squirt everything with PB or a similar penetrant, trying to get it up into the threads on the bolts into the 'frame' (snapped loose a captive nut in my '92-what a pain to fix). I did my '96 recently, and it feels 'nice' again!

I ordered all the stuff from Quadratec, just specified the model, Country, and they sent the proper size bushings. I don't know how they got it right, as there are too many choices for all years.

Thanks heyhar. I replaced the links and bushings last fall. They are still in great shape. Just replaced the lower control arms and the tie rod ends now need replaced. Once the TRE's are replaced, and I replace the sway bar bushings, if it doesn't ride smooth again, i will need to replace the upper control arm bushings. (trying to avoid that, lol)

We've been toying with XJs a long time, and I've often seen upper bushings in worse condition than lowers. Mostly due to deteriorating in the oil bath that the 4.0 provides due to its 'rust fighting' function. My feeling is, If your hands are dirty, and the car is up on jackstands anyway, Just Do It. One bushing/control arm means all of them. Fewer marginal pieces to cause the other marginal pieces to give you a headache. All that rubber under there is 10-25 years old anyway, well past its normal lifespan.

Back