• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Military look: Steel wheel options?

noChrome71

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

Haven't been active on here for a while (just dd'ing until I could save up some cash!) but want to start a project and need some wheel help.

I'm going for a military look (my xj is dark army green) and want to find some steel wheels (then paint black) that will play the part. I'm also a nut job and don't like wheels that stick out far, like the soft 8's, and everyone has those anyway, I want to be different. Any opinions? I was thinking some black steels from the very early xj's. I like rims without alot of holes becuase it looks military also.

Any ranger steel wheels anyone knows of?

BTW, I'm only planning on 30x9.5 AT's, I drive over an hour at 80MPH to work one way everyday and tow a lot, so those are as big as I'll go!

Thanks!

I would look for a set of early YJ steel wheels and paint them black, they will be same bolt pattern and back spacing. If you want a little more robust look get a set of 1.25 spacers.

My soft 8's have 4" BS and don't stick out past the flares. Check out the black rock wheels. They have some non traditional styles that I like. I really enjoy my silver soft 8's with my gunmetal blue paint.

Bushwackers look kinda militaryish, and would allow you to get a wheel that sticks out a bit further.
I wonder if they make bolt pattern adapters that would allow you to run H1 wheels. The wheels we use on our humvees are about as military as you can get.

there is a guy around here that used to run around with wheels from an older Chysler car - Polara, Coronet or something like that. They had a cool old school look. You could also look at older unit bearing Dodge trucks.

Check out Vintage Wheels. They have all sorts of old Chrysler re-pop wheels that could work.

Awesome, thanks for the help. I woudl normally run a bad-a** backspace, but most of the military trucks have the wheels well tucked in. Bushwackers look great but are pricey :eye:.

Many ideas to think of now... hmm

Stay away from the bushwackers with 30s it will look horrible they make my 33s look tiny, and there not worth the money, as far as the wheels look at mid 80s ford ranger and bronco II factory steel wheels, barely any holes in them but painted black they look very military. I used to have a 86 bronco II, with the wheels painted black it looked very military with out trying.

I've thought that the AR61's have a nice older, military-like look to them.

mAR0613.jpg

Those Early Wheel Company wheels will stick out. I thought they were awesome until I realized how low the backspacing was...

The steelies you want are these... This is as utilitarian as it gets. Paint them satin black, or battleship grey, or machine grey, and you're good to go.

4.jpg

Ugh. You're looking at the wrong chart. The wheels above are 'standard wheels', Max backspacing - 5.25"(15x7 wheel), which is the same as the factory wheel you recommended.

Oops, my bad.

So these would be perfect for the OP... and for me. I wish I could afford wheels + shipping

why dont you find yourself a set of the turbine wheels and paint em black? not very many folks run those anymore.

Back