• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

power/comfort switch

Arakele

NAXJA Member #946
i am getting ready to buy a 92 4.0 auto xj, and it doesnt have the power/comfort tranny switch i was just curious if it is pre wired into the dash and i can add the switch later or if i have to go to the junkyard and wire it in myself. any help would be great thanks.

(btw not my first xj my "old" one was a 92 as well)

on some xj/mj models there was an option offered with the auto and towing package. its the first switch on the right hand side of your dashboard, when it doesnt have the option its just blank. i know alot of times vehicles come prewired for options and pretty much need a switch to make them functional power seats especially.

the switch when pushed to the "comfort" side, uses the normal shift patterns in the tranny.

when pushed to the "power" side it changes the shift points mainly on tow package equiped models to broaden heavier loads over the transmission

my old jeep had this switch and i preffered the "power" option

if there's no switch , it's in "power" mode all the time.

the switch is a novelty. doesn't have anything to do with a towing pacakge or BS like that. just the older ones had it.

i hope some one knows the answer so i dont have to go and take apart my neighbors (lndrvrxj) jeep and see what kinda cool things with wires is under the dash that matches up to mine heh

ahhh good deal then cheapxj i assumed it was part of the towing package cause i have always only seen it with factory hitches i appreciate the info,

hopefully i'll have pictures to post in a few weeks when all the little bugs get worked out, and i can take it home

On the 87-91 AW-4 the Power/Comfort switch was available but I'm not sure if it was on all of them. In 92-later the switch was removed, and the tranny was left in 'Power' all the time.

I have switched mine between comfort and power on my 90 and honestly have not felt any difference between the two. Maybe mine just doesnt work, but honestly I wouldnt worry about putting the switch in.

Mike

The power/comfort switch has two rolls in the power setting: changes shift firmness (valve body pressure) and also changes shift points (keeps you in gear longer between gear shifts) This does not affect highway driving. As far as I know. -Steve

I have the power/comfort switch in my 89xj and no factory towing package.

The only time I notice any difference is if i step on the gas and leave it floored and let it shift. It seems to go to a higher rpm (wait longer) before shifting gears.

having said that, I can not get it to do that on my mother-in-laws 88 with the same switch.

Either hers does not work, or mine is a fluke!!

Michael

The switch is kinda a joke. Ive used it once or twice and all it did for me was raise my rpms by about 300- 500. It helped get up a few hills, but thats it.

Can an AW4 that came with the switch, I think came out of a 90 XJ be used in a later model XJ without the switch? Could you just delete the switch altogether? I have a spare AW4 out of the 90, but my XJ is a 96. Just wondering if I'm wasting valuable space in my garage with parts that are unusable to me.

Thanks, Dan

From what I was told, you cannot switch a 90 tranny to a newer jeep, unless you pull ALL hardware and electrics. Its not a straight swap.....thats what I was told :(

i just preffered the drive on my old jeep which was a 92(maybe mine was some sort of an option only found on early 92's) and had the power/comfort switch option, with it in power mode. its all on personal preference. but if it drives the same way without the switch then i will be happy none the less. i was just curious about it, so i appreciate the help to everyone

depending on the sensitivity of the TPS, total system voltage, mileage, air temperature, humidity, how god feels about you... it'll drive different anyway ;)

Back