• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Has anyone ever tried this???

JeepCherokeeGuy99

NAXJA Forum User
So I would really like to get a a different bumper that has a tire carrier, but I was thinking, has anyone ever mounted the spare to the rear hatch. Almost like using a wrangler spare tire plate but more heavy duty to be able to hold at least a 31" tire. My rear hatch is all dented up so I wouldn't mind drilling some holes into it and mounting a plate to try it out. Of course I will need to install some heavy duty hatch shocks to be able to lift the added weight, but it would be a very inexpensive solution compared to buying a new bumper. Keep in mind, I have a 99 xj so its metal not fiberglass. Let me know what you guys think and I might be motivated to try it. Thanks!

-Nick

Why not a body mounted swing out?

Honestly it seems like it would be a lot of extra weight on an already heavy hatch.

well the shocks wont hold it up anymore, might be a better option to mount a TJ tire carrier to the rear cargo floor.

Why not a body mounted swing out?

Honestly it seems like it would be a lot of extra weight on an already heavy hatch.

You talking about like an oem carrier? I just don't like the look of a body mounted one. My favorite bumper/carrier is this one.

actually.....scratch the whole idea. I just realized I would not be able to open the hatch because of the tire being in the way.

There was also a swing out that mounted to the rear factory bumper. The JCR one looks nice, but like all the nice stuff for sale, pricey.

Dont forget the Detours kit, If you want to keep the stock bumper
http://www.detoursusa.com/tailbone.php

ya the detours one is the one I've been wanting also, however, I have an aftermarket bumper that wont work with it. (2" reciever and 3" reverse lights on it)

Detours is prototyping this now. Good up to 31" tire.

MISC2010015small.jpg

Back