• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Painting advice needed

FearNoFish

NAXJA Forum User
Long story short. My 99 XJ had an fire in the engine compartment that burned out all everthing combustable under the hood and melted the dash and other things. I found another 99 to transfer parts over to. I thought I was lucky in finding one the same color. Theres were things go sour.

On close inspection, the hood and the roof had crazing in the paint. The roof was far worse than the hood. I thought I might just scuff it smooth and coat it with Rustoleum Hammered to hide the imperfections.

After much searching, I was dissapointed in everything I was able to find out about that idea. So I started sanding the top to see what I had. To my surprise, the crazing went down to metal. I could see rust appearing in places. I took aircraft stripper to it and the hood. The hood came out clean but the top is a pitted mess. I am now down to bare metal with an even coating of pits accross most of the top.

My intent was to keep it black up to the belt line with Raptor below the lower body mold and on the flares JCR quarter armor. I would put a color on everything above the belt line.

How do I deal with the pitting on the roof. - POR-15?
What system would I look for that would allow me to paint the balance of the body including raw metal, old finish (in good condition), plastic grill parts, and fiberglass visor.

Understand I want it to look good but this is not a show car and I don't want to spend tons on specialized paint.

Would I use a epoxy primer on all? How about acrylic enamels for color?
Should I spend the money on a compatable clear coat?

Lets hear it.

FNF

You might want to check with someone about the metals actual integrity. I have always heard that a vehicle fire will change the temper in the metal making it unsafe in a collision. I don't know this to be true but I have heard it before. Just trying to give you a heads up.

You might want to check with someone about the metals actual integrity. I have always heard that a vehicle fire will change the temper in the metal making it unsafe in a collision. I don't know this to be true but I have heard it before. Just trying to give you a heads up.

maybe I should have read more closely, your talking about the one you got to replace the burned out ride!:confused1

I'll take some photos of the pitting next week. Heading to Yellowstone with the family.

While what I would call "discoloration" is expansive with the actual pitting not quite as wide spread. Its what is left after stripping and sanding with 80gt through 220gt.

It would probably take a filler before primer to level it but I'm concerned about applying any filler prior to neutralizing the rust.

FNF

Back