• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is there supposed to be a ground on my 91's gas tank?

hupo224

NAXJA Forum User
I seen a video of a 1991 trailer hitch install and I saw a wire that went from the back of the gas tank up into the bumper.

Video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slAtQ4XjBNA (16 seconds in.)

I don't have that. When I try to follow the harness from my sender/pump I can't seem to follow where it goes after it goes up into the body. So I can't check for bad ground/connectors. Am I missing this ground? Is the kid who had it before me stupid? (He bought a new oem pump/sender but didn't put an o ring/seal under the lock ring for the opening on the tank) So it would leak gas past half a tank as well. The fuel pump is quite loud and my gas gauge don't work. Took a multimeter to my sender and it read around 20 even when I moved the sender arm/float from empty to full. It would not read in x10 or x100 mode but it would in x1k. I plan to put the unit back in properly and seal the hell out of the lock ring and sender unit.

There should be 5 wires that plug into or attach to the fuel pump module. A pair of 2 wire connectors and a single ground wire.
HTH
Wayne

It seems to be a red/orange wire a black wire and a blue wire on this pump.

hope this kind of helps
dgb9e.jpg

Last edited:
I was speaking of the wires outside the tank. The inside wires probably are different on different MFG,s pumps.
As for the origional post--the tank is steel and the straps are steel--i,m pretty sure the tank is grounded to the body by contact somewhere.

Wayne

I doubt it, everything is originally covered in rubber, the straps usually have rubber over them, also the top is normally lined with something. all to keep the tank from squeaking.

How many threads are you gonna make? Keep it in one place so we don't see the same junk 5 times...

No, no ground strap required. There should be a black wire connected to the sending unit case that goes to the connector.

Don't seal the hell out of it, you will just make things worse for next time, use the damn o-ring and coat it with oil or grease while installing, don't let it pop out while tightening the lockring. You are way overcomplicating this.

How many threads are you gonna make? Keep it in one place so we don't see the same junk 5 times...

No, no ground strap required. There should be a black wire connected to the sending unit case that goes to the connector.

Don't seal the hell out of it, you will just make things worse for next time, use the damn o-ring and coat it with oil or grease while installing, don't let it pop out while tightening the lockring. You are way overcomplicating this.

I couldn't get an o ring. I got permanent 9 that does not harden and is not effected by gas. I was going to clean the surface and use this instead. I do believe they have the o ring in a kit with a new lock ring. I'll see if I can get this..

I couldn't get an o ring. I got permanent 9 that does not harden and is not effected by gas. I was going to clean the surface and use this instead.<--BAD IDEA
I do believe they have the o ring in a kit with a new lock ring. I'll see if I can get this..<--GOOD IDEA

Back