• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

budget lift leaf springs???

low'n'go xj

NAXJA Forum User
I have used mazda leafs and got 2 inches of lift. I had to fab a align block to use those leafs. Would rather not do that again. Was looking at exploder rear leafs and didn't know if anyone has used them. I also heard fullsize waggy rear springs will give lift. can you guys tell me which route would give me the most lift? Thanks for all info.

I have used mazda leafs and got 2 inches of lift. I had to fab a align block to use those leafs. Would rather not do that again. Was looking at exploder rear leafs and didn't know if anyone has used them. I also heard fullsize waggy rear springs will give lift. can you guys tell me which route would give me the most lift? Thanks for all info.

Do a search for Leaf springs and "Bastard pack" in the Modified Tech forum. I believe that Durango and S-10 leafs are the most often mentioned donor sets. 1" and 2" add-a-leaf's can be purchased fairly inexpensive as well.

yeah, but add a leafs flaten stock springs quicker. just looking for local experience.

My local experience = stock XJ set + 2 long leafs from mid-90's S-10 and 2" add a leafs. A Bastard Pack in other words. Different diameter center holes can cause some spring slide so use new pins and torque them down tight ( Spare pins in the onboard tool-box are a great idea).

yeah, but add a leafs flaten stock springs quicker. just looking for local experience.

Where do people get the idea that a AAL will "flaten" a stock spring pack?

Any leafs you ADD to a stock spring pack will help support that spring pack (add to the load capacity). The ONLY way they would "flaten" it would be if they were less arched than the original spring pack. Since the basic idea behind a AAL is to add lift (and load capacity) they inherintly will add arch, lift, load capacity to a stock spring pack.

Long AAL's are better than Short AAL's.
Durango and S-10 Leafs tend to be the best donors.

Michael

Where do people get the idea that a AAL will "flaten" a stock spring pack?

Any leafs you ADD to a stock spring pack will help support that spring pack (add to the load capacity). The ONLY way they would "flaten" it would be if they were less arched than the original spring pack. Since the basic idea behind a AAL is to add lift (and load capacity) they inherintly will add arch, lift, load capacity to a stock spring pack.

Long AAL's are better than Short AAL's.
Durango and S-10 Leafs tend to be the best donors.

Michael

X2

Listen to Michael, he know's his stuff with bastard packs...after doing it who knows how many times. :laugh:

~Scott

We used all but the overload leaf off or a 2wd S-10 on my buddies XJ. Added the S-10 leafs to the XJ main. Netted us around 5 inches. Didnt ride to bad, either.

buddy had the procomp 3.5 lift, they would flatten stock springs all the time. ofcourse juckyard springs plus tow firewood did a lot to them. not going to tow that much, but a waverunner is in the future.

would you guys think i could use the springs i have(which are as flat as texas) and still get the same lift?

buddy had the procomp 3.5 lift, they would flatten stock springs all the time. ofcourse juckyard springs plus tow firewood did a lot to them. not going to tow that much, but a waverunner is in the future.

would you guys think i could use the springs i have(which are as flat as texas) and still get the same lift?

The AAl isn't flattening the pack, the fact that a low quality AAL is being used for towing an large amounts a weight means the pack is wearing out prematurely. Your best bet is to probably build a custom pack more heavier weight using the XJ main so it keeps the axle relatively in the same place.

What we did for my fiancee's brother's jeep is take one leaf out and added two trimmed leaves from a Dakota pack. If works pretty well for him.

yeah i've been looking at threads in the modified sections and think i will be doing the dakota bastard pack.
now my stock leafs are FLAT, can i still use the main or do i really need another one. if so i can always do tare down and rebuild in the junk yard.

If it were me I would find some un flattened xj springs at the jy at the same time. Your only going,to need the main xj leaf with the eyes and that's it. If you need any help let me know..

1. Stock leaves are relatively flat to start with.
2. Used leaves provide more flex that a stiff new leaf.
3. More leaves means more lift and more load capacity.
4. Even "flat" leaves add lift and load capacity and strength to a pack.

Michael

i used 88 dakota leafs and used the whole pack including the overload(cut it down to the size of the spring perch to act like a block) and i netted 4 inches.

i will let you know ahead of time that the bolt in the leaf center is difference sizes i think its a step larger, so if you want to run the larger pin you will have to drill out the stock main leaf and the leaf perch hole. its not manditory but i did it anyway cuz it was larger.

people who say it rides pretty soft is crazy IMO, i can load my xj fully packed with camp gear ice chest etc and it squats maybe 3/4" max. fully loaded it rides like a dream though i think it runs the trails better fully loaded. if you look it up the dakota leafs are rated in the 2500 range vs the xj's 655-745 stock range.

here's a leaf spring chart to give you a better idea of what will fit ur xj
http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=895

1. Stock leaves are relatively flat to start with.
2. Used leaves provide more flex that a stiff new leaf.
3. More leaves means more lift and more load capacity.
4. Even "flat" leaves add lift and load capacity and strength to a pack.

Michael

so what your saying< is i can use my flat springs and make a bigger pack or use more leafs, I can still get good flex and lift with what i have. my xj sits about an 1.5" to 2" lower than stock. the front is the same.:confused1:confused1:confused1

nope, i literally cut the eye off the front back i think an inch and the rear i cut back maybe 4-6 inches. everything centered up pretty nicely

Back