• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can WJ knuckles work with a D44 from a 1969 Bronco I

Ricky

NAXJA Forum User
I may be getting a front Dana 44 from a 1969 Bronco and was wondering if it will accept WJ knuckles so I can do highsteer. I'm new the the D44 front axle thing and couldn't find anyone that had put the WJ knuckles on a bronco 44. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ricky

Bronco's didn't get a Dana 44 until '71, you sure you know what your getting?

It is possible to add WJ knuckles to a Dana 44 but you would need the inner C's as well. A better option is to find Dana 44 flat top knuckles, that will allow you to use high steer arms for true high steer.

WJ knuckles don't really give you high steer, just crossover steering

OK, thanks guys. I'll have to double check and make sure it's a D44 not a D30. I already have the WJ knuckles so in theory if I were to use them would I be able to take off the inner Cs from my D30 and put them on the bronco D44?? or would I have to find newer D44 inner Cs and put them on the Bronco D44 in order to run the WJ setup??

Thanks again for the quick responces,

Ricky

Also check to see whether its LP or HP, I think most early bronco's had LP Dana 44's.

If you do want to use the WJ knuckles then you will have to use the inner C's from a Dana 30. However, if you are getting a LP Dana 44 then IMO you are much better off just staying with your Dana 30. If it's a HP Dana 44 then it's still a lot of work to adapt WJ knuckles and I still think you are better off sticking with the Dana 44 steering.

Something I'll say again, WJ knuckles don't give you highsteer. The advantages to WJ knuckles are crossover steering and bigger brakes. With a Dana 44 you already get bigger brakes as well as better ball joints, manual hubs, and the option of true high steer.

Also check to see whether its LP or HP, I think most early bronco's had LP Dana 44's.

If you do want to use the WJ knuckles then you will have to use the inner C's from a Dana 30. However, if you are getting a LP Dana 44 then IMO you are much better off just staying with your Dana 30. If it's a HP Dana 44 then it's still a lot of work to adapt WJ knuckles and I still think you are better off sticking with the Dana 44 steering.

Something I'll say again, WJ knuckles don't give you highsteer. The advantages to WJ knuckles are crossover steering and bigger brakes. With a Dana 44 you already get bigger brakes as well as better ball joints, manual hubs, and the option of true high steer.

I'll have to double check and see if its a D30 or D44 and weather or not its a HP axle. My bad about the hi-steer, thanks for correcting me so I don't sound like an idiot on the matter. Sounds like its not worth the work then, esspecially if its a LP D44. I am running 35s so I might just upgrade the D30 and carry extra shafts...

Thanks for the insight,
Ricky

Something I'll say again, WJ knuckles don't give you highsteer.

a PS RHD knuckle and a PS LHD knuckle can make some OTK high steer inverted t setup, some funky ackerman numbers but it works-ish :gee:

To the original poster, ditch the axle and ditch the idea. the EB 44's (if it even is one) will be LP and the center section is offset differently (more towards the center) that doesnt work well with xj's. if its an early year EB44, itll most likely have drum brakes too. its deffiently not worth the effort to put 30 inner c's on.

deffiently not worth the effort to put 30 inner c's on.

Effort for downgrades. Reminds me of the rock jock Dana 60s 4wp sells that use Stock dana 30 C's.

a PS RHD knuckle and a PS LHD knuckle can make some OTK high steer inverted t setup, some funky ackerman numbers but it works-ish :gee:

I knew someone was gonna call me out on that :D. Generally when people talk about doing the WJ upgrade they are just talking about using using both knuckles from a LHD, which is why I said that. I've still never seen or heard of anybody actually using the RHD knuckle.

Effort for downgrades. Reminds me of the rock jock Dana 60s 4wp sells that use Stock dana 30 C's.

You can thank Currie more than 4wp for that. They still do that crap and it is uber lastara

You can thank Currie more than 4wp for that. They still do that crap and it is uber lastara
Yay for 35 spline inners and and 27spline outers. :rof:

Back