• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP242 SYE Conversion Tweaked?

Nightside21

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, I read all the threads I can find as far as the 242 and converting with an SYE kit. I guess I'm still not satisfied and here's what I was wondering. I know there is an HD version of the 242 which is stronger than the 231 and even another 242 above that (I believe for the Hummer?). Would it be possible to:

1.) Take an HD 242 main shaft and lathe down a portion of the rear output spline.
2.) Thread that area and use the HD 231 SYE kit's flange.

Basically, can you mimic what they do in the HD 231 SYE kit on a 242 shaft? I haven't been able to take a close look at any of these shafts so I don't really know. Just kinda throwing an idea out there. Also, would you have to reharden the shaft after it was machined?

If anyone has some opinions or reasons why this would/wouldn't work, please let me know. Otherwise, hack n' tap it is. The AWD is a very nice thing to have in a daily driver, so the 242 is gonna stay.

Your all messed up!There is no HD shaft for the 242.The Hummer one your thinking of is a 241!

Why dont u buy my NP242 with Toms SYE and full rebuild with
Z E R O miles :D (chain, bearings, seals, and fully cleaned)

RE lists their SYE's as for the 231 and 242...... the actual output flange is the same... since the 2 cases share the same OEM slip yoke...
mike

From what I can tell, the HD SYE for the 231 screws on to the outside of the output shaft. It appears to me that they just lathed down the end of the slip yoke section and threaded it. Is this right or am I totally off?

For all you SYE lovers!

Well I was partly right before!Heres my JB kit!
And to think theres some college boy from OK (I wont mention names)that says these are not HD!Or "alot" shorter and better supported!
hd%20sye.jpg

Thanks for the pics there! For the unenlightend (ie: me) What are the spiral threads for on the non-HD shaft? It doesn't look like those two would be interchangeable either.

:banghead: Oh and while I'm glad to see the pics. They also blew any idea of modding an 242 slip yoke to work with a 231 screw-on flange.

Speedo drive!Just buy the TW kit,its as good as it gets for a 242(within reason,I dont want Beez to get me again,LOL).

For the unenlightend (ie: me) What are the spiral threads for on the non-HD shaft?

To give the !$%!%!$% shaft a stress riser to break at :mad:

Bones :skull1:

broke1-vi.jpg

hey RCP PHx, YOUIR WRONG, i am a mechanic in the Marine Corps and the t- case in the hmmwv(hummvee) is a 242, its a HD 242 w/ an oil cooler in it. i know cause i replace the oil cooler in them all the time. just thought i would add my 2 cents, seeing as a work on them all time.

offroad_marine said:
hey RCP PHx, YOUIR WRONG, i am a mechanic in the Marine Corps and the t- case in the hmmwv(hummvee) is a 242, its a HD 242 w/ an oil cooler in it. i know cause i replace the oil cooler in them all the time. just thought i would add my 2 cents, seeing as a work on them all time.

I wonder if he still cares after 2 years of posting that.

Settle down, n00b.

Back