• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radio installation

SINCITY192

NAXJA Forum User
Someone stole my radio so I got a new one.
I cant seam to get it working like before so I really need help
everything connected like the Haynes diagram says according to the wire colors.
Radio's on with or without the key on
Only the pass. side front door speaker is playing and the driver side only plays if (a piece of metal thats right next to where the wires connect) is touching the hole thats made in the door for the speaker to mount
(seems like that metal piece is grounding in order to play what am i doing wrong
Whys the radio always on?
I am using a red power line that I used for the old radio
and theres a factory red line also both these red lines are getting constant power!!!
key off!!!
I have a set of new speakers but i wanted them for the back doors but i think i should test one with the front driver side door and see if it plays normally and if it does then my only problem would be the always on thing!

by the way its a 88 xj

hey this is 2010 nothing is cheap anymore lol
I have it to the pass speaker working and the back driver side working
front driver side and pass rear speaker doesn't work even with new speakers so it has to be their wiring right?
I still have constant power to the radio which makes the radio really hot not sure what to do there?
taking the face off stops the lights but its still draining the battery i suppose?
Im thinking running new wires what do you think guys for the speakers that is?
I dont know what to do for the constant power

Return it, buy one at a stereo shop that installs for free.

edit: I didn't say return it because there's something wrong with the radio...there isn't. :)

I hate wiring up older xj's I always had the same problem. But had a shop install a unit in my old 89 and they had it working perfectly... So i say have a shop do it. It will be less of a headache for you...

The easiest thing is probably to take it to a shop, but if you are stubborn about doing things yourself, and want to learn something you can apply again, you might consider, instead of paying a stereo shop, paying for a volt/ohm meter, and figuring out the wiring one wire at a time. Haynes, and even the factory manuals in some years, will not always tell you the right colors of wires or the right pinouts. But I've installed a fair number of stereos in vehicles with insufficient information or hacked-up wiring harnesses, and it's not usually all that hard to figure out.

For the speakers, of course it's also possible that there are wiring faults, but if it was all right before the old radio was stolen, chances are that if you get the right pairs of wires, you'll be all right. You can sometimes trace the speakers by cobbing up a connection to a small radio or other signal source, or use the ohmmeter. Look for a pair of wires that powers one speaker at a time. In a pinch you can take the door panels out and test each wire for continuity one at a time. Once you have identified them, write it down! Make sure you get the phase right, so that all radio + go to the + side of each speaker. Mixed phasing will not burn anything out but sound will suffer and bass will be weak.

There should be one constant +12 volt line for the radio memory and clock. This one will almost certainly be on the same fuse as the interior lights, so you can test that by pulling the correct fuse. Then look for a +12 that comes on with the accessory position of the ignition switch. If you have a fuse diagram, pull the radio fuse, and if it goes off, you have it. Ignore other lines which may be for power antenna, display dimming, etc.

And make sure you get a good ground. It wouldn't hurt to run an additional chassis ground in addition to whatever you find in the harness.

Once you have your wires figured out, and the stereo working correctly, take the time to make really good connections before you stuff it back in. Those wires get stressed, and poor connections will plague you. I always solder and shrink tube mine, and never have problems with the harness later.

google for the wiring diagram for your vehicle and then hook up the wires according to the install instructions. the wires for the speakers will be in pairs (purple/purple with orange stripe) but not put together just the colors will be same.

sounds like you've got the switched 12V power wire attached to the constant 12V source (and crossed speaker connections)

I'd pull everything back out and start over-- you're just asking for a dead battery or electrical fire with it wired incorrectly.

P.S. new radio or used? It's always possible (if used) that it's been damaged previously.

sounds like you've got the switched 12V power wire attached to the constant 12V source (and crossed speaker connections)

I'd pull everything back out and start over-- you're just asking for a dead battery or electrical fire with it wired incorrectly.

P.S. new radio or used? It's always possible (if used) that it's been damaged previously.

I love this site theirs nothing like a sense of accomplishment after a long day at work
It was just like u said take everything out and start over!
I did have to cut a pink line that I ran for my old battery I apparently attached it to a black line down by where the pedals are that was loose.
It was a constant power I dont know what its originally for so i jus cut it and ran the end of the pink wire into a fuse that needed the ignition on to have 12v.
so no more radio always on at least!!!
I also got the speakers down pack thanks to you guys and the links those said what the haynes didn't I got every speaker in the car wired up except the dash ones lol but i dont think i need them

Radio turns off and all the speakers play thanks NAXJA

Back