• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pinion angle

Its more a question of correct pinion vs correct caster. Correct pinion angle is when the pinion points at the TC output, don't know the actual degrees. Problem is, if your pinion is correct your caster is probably horrible and visa-versa. How 'bout a little info on your rig and situation.

My answer would be within 3 degrees of your front drive shaft angle. I believe as long as you are within 3 degrees you should not have front drive shaft vibrations.

For example, I think my front pinion angle is 7 degrees up. Front drive shaft angle is 9 degrees down. Difference is 2 degrees. I think that leaves me about 3 1/2 degrees of caster. I could be wrong but those numbers seem to be what I remember.

You will need an angle finder like this:
angle%20finder.jpg

I use this one: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00939840000P?prdNo=6&blockNo=6&blockType=

Last edited:
ok yea let me clarify then.. how far can the pinion be tilted so it wont bind up the u joints on the ds? it was taken to an alignment shop but the problem is im not sure the actual degrees it is right now but its so far up that the coil springs are almost a "C" because they made it point directly at the TC. its a 90 manche with 11" lift and 37s

ummmmmmmmmmmm, an 11" lift? Holy crap. That's part of your problem, you're lifted WAY too high, at that kind of lift you really need to rotate the knuckles... and will probably have pinion oiling problems, and definitely need longarms if you don't have em already!

Kudos on the MJ on 37s though :thumbup:

Yeah, it's a balance of caster and pinion angle. You want just enough caster to have decent steering feel, and not too much pinion angle to cause driveline vibes. Almost impossible to do with 11" of lift. 37's work well with 7-8" of lift and some trimming, and the rig will handle better.

No one needs to take a lifted rig to an alignment shop. Go to the hardware store and get an angle finder and check your caster and pinion angle yourself. Set the toe by measuring between the same spot on both tires, front and back. Or, make some simple alignment bars. I made them out of angle iron, a few feet long, drilled holes for two lug studs, and made marks an equal distance front and rear on the angle iron. I pull the tires, bolt up the bars, measure across between the bars with a tape measure front and rear, and adjust the tie rod accordingly. Just a touch in, barely, seems to be the right amount, or just set it at 0*. Then with the tires back on adjust the drag link to center the steering wheel, you'll have to drive it down the street a couple times to get the wheel centered right. I can do an alignment in my driveway in about 20 minutes, by myself.

Back