• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ 4X4 - RWD?

sotrhRaven

NAXJA Forum User
I see a lot of 4X4 XJ's on the site. I have plain RWD. How many people on the forum have just RWD? Do they take them off road? Do they perform well? Are there any concerns I need to know of before I take my Jeep off road?

Ben :compwork:

2001 XJ Sport 4.0 HO RWD

Some do... you'll see most call it 2wd. It's a decent weekend worth of work and less than 500 dollars in parts to convert to 4wd though.

My MJ is 2WD, I've installed the axle but haven't done the transmission and transfer case yet because I moved and can't work on cars in the parking lot of my new apartment.

As for offroad - a lot of JeepSpeed rigs are 2WD only because the front differential mostly just adds weight, but most mud/rock/crawler rigs are 4WD. Your concerns are mostly going to involve getting stuck a hell of a lot more because a 2WD rig just plain doesn't have the same traction, the front wheels won't want to climb things because they aren't driven.

Im still 2wd. I have my t-case and 4wd tranny in, and also the axle. No linkage yet.

Mines kinda been just a DD though, Ive been in no rush to finish it.

As we are discussing the ability of a 2wd XJ, lets first clarify your definition of "offroad".
The idea of 2wd and "offroad" is an oxymoron to me. Traction aside, no low range would make it almost impossible to control
a jeep on technical sections of even easy trails.

Properly set up, "2" wheel drive is surprisingly capable. If you modify the differential so that power is actually getting to both wheels simultaneously.
What are your expectations of the rig?
I've driven a LOT of pickups, spud and grain trucks, and plain ol' station wagons with locking differentials through some serious mud, snow, and tough terrain.
Were I in your shoes, I'd put a locking differential in the rear of that 'two wheel' drive, and use it to pull a play rig to the rock pile. XJ's are still reasonably inexpensive, there's a ton of 'em out there and available, why modify a cool little station wagon?
I think that if I ran across a two wheel drive XJ, it'd end up with a stout V8, and go play on the street. Make a helluva sleeper, wouldn't it?

My dad has been in logging and tree work since the 1980's and he won't drive a 4x4. Says they have to much stuff in the front end to break. He swears by 4x2, limited slip rear, and winch. He's opinion is that winches never get stuck and it has worked for him for a lot of years. However, that said I like my 4x4 and a locker for the rear and winch setup would probably run you as much a conversion if you did everything yourself.

Ok. I know it wasn't a jeep but my first vehicle was a F-150 with a 302, a 5 speed, and a locking dif. All my buddies were mudders and rock climbers so I figured being young and stupid hey I've got a truck too...well I took it out a few times and mudded her. Did a few trails and yes got stuck quite a lot. But the thing is I then sold that truck and got a j10. Put her up on 35's and generally worked over that truck. Since I had been so handicapped by the 2by once I had a 4x4 it was like night and day. Well moral of story yeah you can take it offroad but you better have good buddies to pull on ya or a good winch. Then after you have played with that maybe broke a few things go out and buy you a 4by

First remember that most Pre-Runner rigs are 2wd. Most trail running onle requires ground clearance and traction. So with a decent lift and a Locker, a 2wd can do about 90% or the wheeling a 4X4 can. 2wd falls short in extreemly low traction conditions, proper line selection and a winch can remedy that. I have seen 2wd rigs running the Rubicon, nealy as well as the 4x4s. I have run trails rated for locked 4x4, 33" tires and armor on open difs, 31" tires and broken front axels (2wd using low range).

one of the reasons this even came to mind is I am not quite sure what to do with my jeep. I need to still haul the kids but want to use on mild trails in Florida. I am going to look more in to speed runner setups. My knowledge of that genre is limited at the moment. I appreciate all of the comments so far.

Ben

My dad has been in logging and tree work since the 1980's and he won't drive a 4x4. Says they have to much stuff in the front end to break. He swears by 4x2, limited slip rear, and winch. He's opinion is that winches never get stuck and it has worked for him for a lot of years. However, that said I like my 4x4 and a locker for the rear and winch setup would probably run you as much a conversion if you did everything yourself.

If you leave it in 2WD, none of the front drivetrain is going to break. So basically your dad is giving up a useful feature, because if he actually needs 4WD, something might break if he does use it.
Edit: Well NM, I guess parts like CV joints and seals do fail

I don't know about you guys but I've gotten stuck on dirt roads, just in a patch of loose dirt, and had to go to 4WD. If I had 2WD I would have been calling a tow truck.

Last edited:
Did you try the "poor man's LSD" i.e. pull on the e-brake a bit to keep the spinning down? It can nuke your spider gears if you aren't careful but I'd give it a try.

Mine's a 2wd. Has the factory LSD that still works. :p It's my DD.

Here's another 2wd (RWD) for ya (no, it's not mine)

v2r21.jpg

Griffith1Large.jpg

How many people on the forum have just RWD? Do they take them off road? Do they perform well? Are there any concerns I need to know of before I take my Jeep off road?

Ben :compwork:
I think if you need to ask, you'll probably be fine.
The first thing I did to my '96 2 w.d. is add a PowerTrax Limited Slip locker so I would actually have TWO wheel drive and not get stuck on wet grass.
Just be prepared. Decent AT tires and air compressor if you need to air down. F. & R. tow points are a necessity (ask me how I know).
I've traveled hundreds of miles off pavement without problems by knowing what my limitations are. Death Valley, Big Bear and Cleghorn "easy" parts. Go out with some of your local NAXJA members and see what you can do.
My biggest drawbacks are not being able to go slow enough over obstacles because I have a manual trans. and a clutch that likes to slip when hot.

Back