• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

33 or 35s

XJGoBoom

NAXJA Forum User
The search function does not like to include numbers or something, If someone could point out a thread with this id appreciate it.

I have a 4.5 long arm lift sitting and ready to be installed on my 97xj, I have had the problem of trying to make the decision of running 33s or 35s.
This is my DD and would be re-geared to 4.56, and could be 6.5" with spacer/shackle. And would be locked in the rear. Axles d30/8.25.

Would the 33's give me more flex/ ability to accomplish objects, or would the 35s be just as good with the extra 1" of clearance, and flex just as good.
It seems the 35's wont flex as good as the 33's. This is my DD and i dont mind trimming as long as its not to the tip top and still looks good.

Out of experience in this position which would you choose to run. I have this feeling i will get 33's and after a month might want to upgrade to 35s.

what are some things i will run into that would cause a major problem with making the jump to 35's over 33's?
steering, steering box support, steering pump, would i break shafts a lot? anything else

The trails i would run are mostly big rocks with sand in between, like the rubicon as example.

Flex has nothing to do with tire size, unless you're talking about lift height and fender clearance. The main issue between 33's and 35's is axle strength. Unless you want to spend some money upgrading the axles, stick to 33's. Your fun factor will go down with 35's and stock axles because you'll be much more prone to breaking. Plus, since it's a DD your brakes will work better with the 33's.

I just got another XJ for a DD, and it's staying on 33's, and has 4.88's. I'll use it for stuff like Swamp Lake and the Rubicon and the local trails, and 33's are just fine. Even then, it has a D44 and alloy shafts in the front with snap ringed 760x axle joints. I wouldn't even think of putting 35's on totally stock front axles.

Stick with 33's. I told myself I was going to stay 33 and under unless I upgraded everything in the front end. I just threw an ARB and RCV's in the front, plus I have another DD now, so I feel fairly confident going to 35's. But yeah, listen to Richard, for a DD, stay with 33's so you keep your road manners and braking ability.

I go over all kinds of crazy stuff on 32's right now, so as long as you armor up the underside of your XJ, you should be able to tackle pretty much whatever you want.

Oh, and no matter what size tires you have, you need to trim to get any kind of decent flex. With my 32's and plenty of trimming, I'm still wrinkling the front fenders with the tires, so I know my flex is sufficient.

32575_904820136088_5719488_49511031_794174_n.jpg

32575_904820161038_5719488_49511036_7653470_n.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos...5_904820161038_5719488_49511036_7653470_n.jpg

RE4.5" on RE long-arms, trimmed, 33's. Absolutely no issues. Personally I'd stick with your 4.5" LA kit and skip on the spacer/shackle. Not necessary.

31999_446304301912_642731912_5675656_2743060_n.jpg

32438_135146309832396_100000110846751_375245_1449249_n.jpg

Man I'm happy I saw this thread. I am in the same position as you my friend. I have a 97 now with 3" skyjacker and 31's. (Bought it that way) I plan on going bigger and I'm in the process of buying stuff to do that now. I'm deff going with 6" long arm, and 33's or 35's. I already have a 8.8 I plan on gearing and putting it in so I'll have rear disk's witch will help with breaking. Yes this is my DD, however I only drive 3 minutes to work. I really want 35's and know I have to trim fenders.... but I also live in NJ and can't have tires sticking out to far and I hate Bushwacker flares. Sorry to highjack your thread but I'm in the same situation and really curious what people have to say.

In My Experience.......

Man I'm happy I saw this thread. I am in the same position as you my friend. I have a 97 now with 3" skyjacker and 31's. (Bought it that way) I plan on going bigger and I'm in the process of buying stuff to do that now. I'm deff going with 6" long arm, and 33's or 35's. I already have a 8.8 I plan on gearing and putting it in so I'll have rear disk's witch will help with breaking. Yes this is my DD, however I only drive 3 minutes to work. I really want 35's and know I have to trim fenders.... but I also live in NJ and can't have tires sticking out to far and I hate Bushwacker flares. Sorry to highjack your thread but I'm in the same situation and really curious what people have to say.

6" lift = too tall. Stay at or under 5" if ya can. Low and wide FTW.

Depends on how you drive/wheel. I'm runnin 35's beadlocks and dual lockers on stock axles. There is a way greater risk of breaking. I'd thoroughly suggest trusses and good strong diff covers. But if you don't hammer the throttle it's more than doable to run 35's reliably on stock axles. Just be nice to skinny pedal and youshoukd be fine. (and I run some rough trails including penrose and carnage so it hasnothing to do with being on easy trails)
my jeep is also my DD and I drive to trail and home.
It's about wheeling smart.

But yes there is HUGE performace difference between 33's and 35's.

Down the road I will deff be looking into doing something with the front axle. In all honesty this XJ won't see a whole lot of wheeling untill it's all finished. I have a 89 on 33 boggers that I run around my way. short arm, welded rear, older XJ just for beating threw the mud and water. The 97 I'm talking about with prolly be a road biotch for the most part. My plan is building a bullet proof XJ over the next couple years for when my twins are old enough to start camping n stuff like that.

In4aride:
How far do your tires stick out of you fenders? That's 1 more thing I have to worry about living in NJ

I'm no flares at all. And as far as I'm concerned I'm not wide enough hahaha(spacers soon)

930fb95f.jpg

but front is roughly 6" from fender @center
rear is roughly 5" from 1/4 @ center.

This right here is VERY true... I am running 35's and LOVE it. although im not on stock axles.

I say go 33's though. Cause until you regear it would suck with 35's. Ask in4aride :D

Post up a pic of your XJ real quick, I want to see what mine will look like on 35's :)

This right here is VERY true... I am running 35's and LOVE it. although im not on stock axles.

I say go 33's though. Cause until you regear it would suck with 35's. Ask in4aride :D
It will suck with 33s, too. Believe me, I daily drove 32s and 3.55s (AW-4) for something like six months, and brand new 33s and 3.55s for a few weeks. Then I got my MJ, stock tires (actually 215/75r15s at first, now 225s) on 3.55s/AW-4 and WOW what a difference. Till I literally stepped out of one and into the other I didn't really realize how much I missed it, and on more than one occasion noted that it was "just fine" here on the internet.

Thanks for the replies, answers are much better here than jeepforum

I Plan on regearing in july to 4.56 with a powertrax no slip in the rear. This is still my DD and i do drive around town sometimes. My lift arrived today its the 4.5 LA, i was going to raise it to 5.5 so i could have a tad bit more room to deal with. although im sure it will sit over 5.5 before it settles down.

I sort of figured run 33's with locked rear and that should do 95% of the trails around here.

swaping axles at this time is out of the picture

It will suck with 33s, too. Believe me, I daily drove 32s and 3.55s (AW-4) for something like six months, and brand new 33s and 3.55s for a few weeks. Then I got my MJ, stock tires (actually 215/75r15s at first, now 225s) on 3.55s/AW-4 and WOW what a difference. Till I literally stepped out of one and into the other I didn't really realize how much I missed it, and on more than one occasion noted that it was "just fine" here on the internet.

I honestly didn't have a problem at all on 33's and 3.55's. It wasn't bad at all. I daily drove it as well.

But for the OP heres a pic of my rig.
Here is a few weeks ago. before i trimmed and everything
29717_1398451535552_1660183930_928613_3536509_n.jpg

And just this last weekend on a local trail
20861_1411633705098_1660183930_960816_6998217_n.jpg

I just went from 33s to 35s. I have 4.56s, stock D30 up front and a locked 8.8 in the back. First impresion is a little loss in power, I am at 4200lbs empty and have a stroker. Loss of power is noticable but its not horrible. The loss of braking was pretty apparent but its not horrible, but I have an 8.8 with discs in the rear.

I am running an RE 5.5HD kit and I am going to have to do a little more trimming and and add a hockey puck to my current bump stop setup. I haven't gotten to wheel yet but I am chomping at the bit.

I am pretty good with the throttle but that can change at any time. New axles are on the to do list.

DON'T GO 35'S ON STOCK GEARS OR AXLES!!

Personally I couldn't imagine going 35's on stock width axles, I had steering issues with 31's on my D30/8.25.

Here's mine on 35's, about 5.5" lift, full width HPD44/Ford 9" axles and 4.88 gears. I'm very pleased with this gear and tire size.

Sorry, only action shots...

IMG_1536.jpg

IMG_1660.jpg

DON'T GO 35'S ON STOCK GEARS OR AXLES!!

yight, good luck with that one

throw in some alloy shafts, beef up your steeering, 760 joints and call it a day

fwiw ill be going to 35's soon on my d30/d44 combo, im not really worried about it

Back