• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

231 vs 242 linkage

WaXJ_Skier

NAXJA Forum User
Does anybody know if there is a difference in linkage between the two cases? I just put a 242 in my jeep and it doesn't seem like I'm getting full throw from my shifter. I can have 4 low working or 2 high working but not both.

I did the same thing to my '98. I changed the gate and still needed to adjust the linkage. I had both the stock linkage from my '98 with the 231 and the linkage from the donor with the 242. I cut them apart and welded them together and got a perfect linkage from the result. I'll try to post photos...

I reused my 231 linkage when I switched in a 242, just had to adjust it a little. Make sure there is free play at both ends so you have room for the handle to bend when shifting into the first and last positions or else the handle will hit against the gate before the transfer case shifts. As said already the gates are different and those need to be replaced.

The 231 linkage is approximately 6" long.
The 242 linkage is approximately 9" long.
You can utilize the longer linkage and the different shift gate for the changeover to 242.
FYI...You are able to use the 242 linkage cut, staggered, and welded for using the 241OR.

The 231 linkage is approximately 6" long.
The 242 linkage is approximately 9" long.
You can utilize the longer linkage and the different shift gate for the changeover to 242.
FYI...You are able to use the 242 linkage cut, staggered, and welded for using the 241OR.

I switched from a 242 to a 241 with zero mods?

I suppose I should have added 'YMMV'
For the 241OR in my '88 originally with a 231, needed a rod longer than a 231, yet was offset the thickness of three rods. Accompliced that by cutting and welding the 242 rod to align and center the rod.
End thread hijack...

Back