• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

idler pulley problem

gijosiahh

NAXJA Forum User
OK, so i just replaced my serpentine belt, and once it was on i noticed my idler pulley was not turning. I figured the bearings were bad so i bought a new one, but still nothing. it seems like the pulley is sitting flush against the mounting bracket and it can't spin. is there some sort of spacer that i'm missing or something? i put the insert that the bolt goes through in, so thats not it. i ran out of ideas here and its just not making any sense to me. any help? pictures would also be very helpful if possible.

-it's the pulley where the tensioner is

thanks!

edit - it's a 99, automatic

Last edited:
i'll try and get some pics soon. the jeep is a few miles away from the house. the inner sleeve is there, but i think i may be tightening the bolt too much. i read its only supposed to be torqued to like 25-30 lbs, and i've probably been tightening it more than that, so that might be it. i'll go check it out soon and post back.

thanks!

There is a small bushing that goes behind the pulley as well as the one that goes in the bearing. I didn't know it was there until I had the same problem youre having and found it in the driveway. If you cant find the bushing a washer or two would probably work.

There is a small bushing that goes behind the pulley as well as the one that goes in the bearing. I didn't know it was there until I had the same problem youre having and found it in the driveway. If you cant find the bushing a washer or two would probably work.

haha i also found the washer/spacer in the driveway. i was working on the jeep about a month ago and snapped the bolt that holds the pulley on, and i guess the washer fell out and i never knew about it. i had been driving that whole time with an idler pulley that wasn't spinning. no wonder the belt broke! it's finally fixed and running again! i'm lucky nothing else got messed up. thanks for the help guys!

Back