• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Possibly moving to the NW

WebDog

NAXJA Forum User
I am thinking about moving to the NW and am going to take a road trip up and explore the area, I have only been as far north as Portland and would like to see it further.

Are there are any areas that i should look at in specifically? Or areas to avoid looking in?

What about wheeling are some cites closer to trails than others?

I figure the NAXJA Guys would know it best!

Thanks

Portland is a nice city, however, the only real wheeling in Oregon is at Tillamook State Forest. There are other places obviously, I just don't really know them.

In Washington for wheeling you have Naches, Liberty, Evans Creek, Elbe, Walker Valley, Tinkham Rd. (for snow runs) and I'm sure there's a lot more out there that I haven't explored.

As far as cool places to visit make sure to stop in downtown Seattle and do all the touristy stuff - waterfront, Pike Place, Science Center/Space Needle. Ballard, Greenlake, Alki, Queen Anne, Beltown, Pioneer Square are all cool neighborhoods. And there's a lot more to do in Tacoma, Olympia.

What type of city/area do you prefer to live in? City, suburbs?

Ive been in the portland area for 5 years and hate it. I'm originally from the southwest. The rain and politics make life horrible. I have my house for sale and plan to move to the bend area asap.

Well what makes you want to come up here? What are you looking for? What type of job/does that affect your location selection? Looking for a fancy house with a view or an average Joe's place for the family in the hills?

A little more detail and we can probably help you a little more.

I live in Everett, which is about 30min north of Seattle. I like it here. It's kinda the big small city. Still plenty of forest/trees, yet a good number of people/stores in the area. Wheeling is about an hour away with currently one main choice, two soon (one ORV park is being worked on) Walker is the current close wheeling, Reiter was what I used to go to. Evans creek is about 2 hours away, Naches is about 3 hours away. More places if you want to travel more.

~Scott

Well, LA is expensive and I don't really like the city. I would probably be coming up looking for a job so that would be open to what ever, I can do web programming.

I am also starting up a fab shop for bumpers and such so i would need a 2 car garage or maybe a small shop.

I would love to be a little out of the city but only a 10 - 20 min drive to get places.

It really depends on your income. North of Seattle is ghetto, south of Seattle is ghetto, west of Seattle across the water is hick, east of Seattle is rich. :)

True. Tacoma does have less gang activity... than Compton.

Compton vs Tacoma

Murder 39 / 21
Forcible rape 50 / 142
Robbery 534 / 680
Car theft 902 / 3601

Last edited:
I live in Auburn which is south of Seattle quite a bit but north of Tacompton. I'd avoid Tacoma area, I make a point to not go down there. Idk there's a lot of different places around the area. its hard to say seeing as I've only lived in 2 towns/cities...being Bonney Lake and Auburn. Every city has its ghettos and nicer areas, just gotta do the research.

You really need to find out what area of the state you're going to be working in. If you live too far north or south of the Seattle where there's a lower cost of living then you're looking at 30min to 2 hours of commuting.

I've lived in Tacoma my whole life. Is it ghetto? In parts. Is there gang activity? In parts. Are the gang issues/ghettos as bad as LA's? Not even close.

The people who say that Tacoma is a bad place to live typically haven't lived in Tacoma and therefore only know what is seen on the news or rumors. Most of the rumors are blown out of proportion IMO.

With your background I'd look into the Redmond/Woodinville area. Close to the tech areas but still rural enough to have property with room for fab.

Check out Eugene, OR. Great fishing and hunting. Lots of off-road. Ocean is 45 min to the west and snow is 45 min to the east. Seattle 5 hrs north....Portland 1:45 north ....Red woods a few hours south. Oregon has no safety or emissions test except for Portland. License plate are $39 per 2 years. Flowers bloom all year around...hardly ever snows. concealed permits are easy to get. Summers are fantastic. winters ....lots of rain.....usually not very cold.

Sounds nice. What kind of work is there?
there's a warehouse that employs 4 billion people that make T-shirts with a large Yellow (or green) O. thats all they do. is cover the earth with that stupid ass O.

Probably pays min wage:firedevil

With your background I'd look into the Redmond/Woodinville area. Close to the tech areas but still rural enough to have property with room for fab.

x2 you can drive to Redmond(Microsoft campus) via backroads in 15 minute(or less)

I actually lived in Woodinville when I was a baby. I think I have memories from those days and that might be one reason I am being pulled back...

I'll be in bremerton in december. Socal taking over the PNW lol

Well, LA is expensive and I don't really like the city. I would probably be coming up looking for a job so that would be open to what ever, I can do web programming.

I am also starting up a fab shop for bumpers and such so i would need a 2 car garage or maybe a small shop.

I would love to be a little out of the city but only a 10 - 20 min drive to get places.

I was Born and raised in Redondo Beach. I know all about the LA area. It is the smallest big city ive lived in. every different part of town has what you need. I like it up here other than the drivers. You will know exactly what i mean compared to the LA drivers. other than that not too bad.

Back