• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trans Cooler suggestions

FlexdXJ

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
Hey guys, I am trying to figure out what size cooler I should go with. I haven't really had issue with the trans while towing but I want to prolong the trans since it will have a stroker in front of it in a couple years. My question is what size/style/shape cooler should I run. Also, are there any good write-ups out ther for this. I have been searching for the past hour or so and haven't had much luck. I don't know if I should bypass the OEM one on the radiator or what. I'd like to keep it under $100. its a 97 4.0 AW4.

I run the B&M #70264 in front of the of the engine driven fan(center of the radiator, offset to the drivers side) plumbed from the trans, through the B&M cooler, into the rad. cooler, then back to the trans.

Regardless of make, a flat plate cooler is more efficient then the tube and fin design, and will be smaller for the same BTU rating.

For a cheaper alternative, a lot of guys here use a ford explorer cooler. (junk yard) I've also read of people using Liberty coolers

I'm using a cooler from a 3/4 ton Dodge. It's kinda snug getting it in place, but it was only $10 at the JY. JIM.

A lot of people I know, (myself once I get around to it) run a ford explorer trans cooler. $15 at the junkyard.

Back