• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

KIND OF A silly tire question

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
Is there any good ways to removes or cover up the while raised lettering on my new mtrs? They have an inboard side and an outboard side and can't be reversed. thanks

Hit 'em with some Bleche-Wite, and sport them proudly! Back in the Sixties, stores used to sell Tire Black, or something like that, which was actually a black paint for rubber. Haven't seen it lately, though.

I read somewhere that KIWI Black Leather Dye will work or a light coat of flat black spray paint on RWL's.

You could splash through your favorite mud hole every couple of days... :laugh3:

Maybe an even sillier question, but do you have to order left sides and right sides? Seems the white lettering would be on the outside on one side and the inside on the other if you don't. If you do, just have them mount them so all the white lettering is inboard.

You could use something like the Dupli-Color hot tires paint pen. Maybe a black paint pen will work the same.

Maybe an even sillier question, but do you have to order left sides and right sides? Seems the white lettering would be on the outside on one side and the inside on the other if you don't. If you do, just have them mount them so all the white lettering is inboard.

They are just marked inboard and outboard , I cant see them working right If I put the black out :
wubba.jpg

They are just marked inboard and outboard , I cant see them working right If I put the black out :
wubba.jpg

I've seen pictures of them mounted the other way. Why wouldn't they work like that? IMO it would actually be better because the closely spaced lugs would be nearer the shoulder so cornering might improve. I think having the wide spaced lugs in the middle would fling more dirt onto the undercarriage though.

In any case, be careful what you use to black them out. You could inadvertently cause the rubber to break down if you use the wrong chemical

those are odd looking tires for sure. I can see that they're asymmetrical, but the treads also look as if they're directional, like tractor tires, so that the fronts don't match on direction. Are there really no directional arrows on these? I'd have guessed that you'd need two mirrored pairs to make a proper set.

those are odd looking tires for sure. I can see that they're asymmetrical, but the treads also look as if they're directional, like tractor tires, so that the fronts don't match on direction. Are there really no directional arrows on these? I'd have guessed that you'd need two mirrored pairs to make a proper set.
Yeah you'd think they'd be directions but nope. No other markings for orientation except the in and out

I wonder if the tires on the right side where the V is backward perform less well in mud.

Edit: wait... the outside tread blocks go the same way on both sides. It's not really a V.

Last edited:
I wonder if the tires on the right side where the V is backward perform less well in mud.

Edit: wait... the outside tread blocks go the same way on both sides. It's not really a V.
Look again, I think you were right the first time. If the tread bars aren't as far apart as those on a tractor, it probably doesn't matter which way they go, but it still looks odd. I looked up some reviews and such, and none of them make mention of directionality, so I guess that's the way it's supposed to be.

On the original question, could you grind the white off the letters with an abrasive disk? Kind of drastic, but it ought to take the white off pretty quickly if it's just painted on.

Look again, I think you were right the first time. If the tread bars aren't as far apart as those on a tractor, it probably doesn't matter which way they go, but it still looks odd. I looked up some reviews and such, and none of them make mention of directionality, so I guess that's the way it's supposed to be.

On the original question, could you grind the white off the letters with an abrasive disk? Kind of drastic, but it ought to take the white off pretty quickly if it's just painted on.

Look at the wide spaced lugs, they're slanted the same way on both sides. It's just the close center lugs that are going the other way

129_0908_14_z+4x4_truck_tire_tech+goodyear_wrangler_mtr.jpg

Rubb them against a curb for abouts 25 feet.

Do that and you'll end up with white walls instead of white letters. :nono:

It's not painted, when the tires are being put together they go through an extra step for the sidewalls and the white is molded into the sidewall itself...you CANNOT grind it off.

What we have done at my shop is get some spray on bedliner...works well and lasts....unless you rub a curb!

I bought some firestone destination A/Ts a while back. I asked if they could put the white lettering inside cause I wanted the black lettering to show. They are directional and facing correctly, however now I'm wondering if my tires are inboard/outboard and they are flipped.

Back