• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

where to buy stock e-fan

downeastxj

NAXJA Forum User
Looking for advise on where to buy a replacement electric fan for my 98 4 liter. Napa has a Balkamp (their house brand?) for $139. Advance has dorman for $114, closest Advance is 60 miles away, but free shipping for online orders over $75. Rockauto has several priced from $62 - $113. Then there is ebay, with tons for around $60 with free shipping. I'm leaning towards Napa, just because there is one here in my town if there ever was a problem. Couldn't find warranty info on Napa or Rockauto's web sites, ebay ones seem to have 1 year (i bet it would be a pain to try to get a new one if needed though) and advance has a lifetime warranty. Mine went 172,000 miles and 12 years, so i don't think I would ever need the warranty, but they made toilet paper because crap happens.

Suggestions? Past experience to share?

Both will be appreciated. Thanks

I picked up one at a junk yard for about $30 here in OK. They're a pretty good bet if you have one near you. My problem is they never seem to be open when I'm off work. I was going to swap it in when I was having overheating problems but I managed to fix it without swapping the new fan in. I'd sell it to ya but shipping to Maine might not make it a very good deal.

Yeah, closest junkyard is in Brewer Maine, 90 miles from here. Price $85. Junkyards in Eastern and Northern Maine are few and far between.

Sounds like you've pretty well explored all your options. I'll be happy to get you a quote for shipping if you're interested. I bet you could find one in the classifieds here as well, maybe a WTB add will help in your local chapter forum. I believe you can post there without being a paying member.

If you want new I'd go with fan made by Four Seasons on rockauto. Four Seasons makes good stuff.

Never had a problem with their stuff, so far!

downEastxj, you say yours "went 172k miles" so I assume that you need a new one because the old one kicked the bucket. You might try your local auto-parts supply to see if they have the replacement motor. My stock fan in my '87 died and I was able to remove the fan blades, unscrew the motor, and replace it with a new one from autozone for about $40. And that was a motor with lifetime warranty. The replacement process is easy, so if you still have the stock fan assembly, check it out.

Last edited:
The U-Pull-It here in Scranton PA has lots of them for $18. I just picked up a later-year model e-fan for my '94 (better flow and quieter). I could pick one up for you and mail it if you're interested, plus whatever it would cost for mailing it.

Jeff

Back