• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear shock mount '98 XJ

a401cj

NAXJA Forum User
Hi.

I've seen some posts on here about reusing the rear sway bar mount as a bar-pin eliminator type mount for the upper rear shock. I see that it is indeed the right size. Is this piece heavy enough? It sure doesn't seem to me like it is.

I'm looking for some kind of solution for mounting my rear Bilsteins. I cannot press open bar pins through the bushings. The bushings tear. I tried rounding the edges off with a grinder but still had no luck. I had no trouble pushing closed end bar pins through on the lower front shocks..maybe I just need to find some closed end ones.

Any thoughts?

Bad idea though because it rotates the pivot point 90*!

I will work fine. The direction of the bolt doesn't mean much on the top mount, not much movement. The only thing is that it uses up some shock room, if you're OK with that it will work.

DONE!

Finally got the damn bar pins inserted into the new Bilsteins and finished up my lift. I NEVER thought 2 coils, 2 leaves, and 4 shocks would be this much of a PITA. It fought me tooth and nail. Broke all 4 shock mount bolts on the back, had the front anchor bolt on the rear leaf spring stick in the bushing and had to cut it out. Complete bitch through and through...but I won!

Back