• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

C-Clip removal on 8.25 with Powertrax locker...

89xjgrey

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone have any tips or tricks to aid in the removal of the C clip out of the little notch in the Powertrax locker? I can't grab it with my hook pics and my magnet is not skinny enough. Tried tried using gravity by putting the notch downward and letting the clip fall out, but it doesn't want to cooperate with me.

Any advice would be great...

Last edited:
I just did this yesterday. Turn the axle so the opening is facing down, then spray brake clean up in there to remove the gear oil so it is less sticky, and then hit it with a rubber mallet. Also, push in on the axle shaft to get the clip out of the seat...

Did you install the locker?If so did you make sure the c-clips properly?

Alot of people dont pre-check the fit of the c-clip in the side gears before assembly and will just force the axle in.Then the c-clips dont like to come out.

I just did this yesterday. Turn the axle so the opening is facing down, then spray brake clean up in there to remove the gear oil so it is less sticky, and then hit it with a rubber mallet. Also, push in on the axle shaft to get the clip out of the seat...

X2 I have a Powertrax in 8.25 29spline on a '99. I self installed. I assume you're talking the locker out to do this. If you push the axel in the C clip should fall right out. Otherwise, you'll have to bang it a little but it should still come out.

is the axle shaft pushed in all the way?
get a fork and bend the middle prongs in so you can push on the c clip and that should do it...

i think you can only access the clip from one side i assume so u need to make sure the the opening of the clip is turned opposite the opening and try hitting the diff with a rubber mallet to get it to drop out. thats how theyre meant to come out is simple gravity

i think you can only access the clip from one side i assume so u need to make sure the the opening of the clip is turned opposite the opening and try hitting the diff with a rubber mallet to get it to drop out. thats how theyre meant to come out is simple gravity

that worked. thx!

Back