• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick question about tire size with trimmed fenders?

ZenDragon

NAXJA Forum User
So Im going to be picking up a set of tires this week. I dont have a lift yet but I want to get the biggest tires I can. I am also planning at some point to get the bushwacker cutout style fenders, but I dont have those yet either. So my question is, what are the biggest tires I can fit on the stock suspection IF I cut out the fenders wells per the instructions for the bushwacker fenders? I know it will look kinda silly until I get the bushwackers on there, but I just want to avoid having to buy another set of larger tires when I get a lift on it.

I can't answer your question directly, but maybe can provide some insight.
During a recent wheelin trip (Gilbert ORVRA), I had the experience of not having enough flex (up front) to make a couple of hi flex sections.
I either need to get sway bar quick disconnects, or a locker up front.
Then I would need to carefully measure bumpstop extensions.
In back, I have plenty of flex, with no swaybar, but get some extreme rubbing of the tires on the quarter panel. Trimming would also solve this, or extended bumpstops.
I have 31x10.50x15 MT's on 15x8 steelies, with 3" rear lift, 2.5" front lift.
31's seem to be the tire size that beyond which, requires lots more trimming, or lots more lift to clear.

First, this would be better in Mod Tech, and I have requested it be moved there.

Second, do a search in Mod Tech on Bushwhacker flares.

Good luck.

I did search already, all the posts I found were talking about XJs with a lift. My question has nothing to do with the Bushwacker flares, but with the tires that will fit in the fender well at stock height, when the fender is cut per the instructions for the bushwacker flares.

Just trying to plan ahead here so I dont have to purchase tires twice.

Could always just run stock tires at stock height with the bushwackers, then measure once you have it trimmed and order the tires then. Not many people go THAT far with keeping a low COG, which probably explains the paucity of information.

Could always just run stock tires at stock height with the bushwackers, then measure once you have it trimmed and order the tires then. Not many people go THAT far with keeping a low COG, which probably explains the paucity of information.

Well I do intend to lift it at some point, I just need to get tires first because the ones on there now are dry rotted. Otherwise I would be lifting it first. I dont plan on going any higher than 3 inches anyhow, its not a dedicated trail rig. Its my daily driver and will spend 90% of its time on the highway, but I still want to be able to do some moderate to difficult off roading with it. Im not going to be doing any extreme crawling with it, I cant afford that kind of hobby! lol

Last edited:
stick with 31s. they look alright all the way up to 4-5" of lift. and at the height, the small tires give you tons of travel.

i fit 30x9.50s on one of my XJs, not to mention the rims had 5.25" backspacing and the suspension was rather saggy. had no issues with rubbing. i suspect you could fit 31s with no trimming. youll want more backspacing that a stock rim gives though. if not, a little trimming isnt hard to do!

but the key is to stay connected...

Saw a stock height XJ today with what looked like 32's on it. Too bad the guy was a punk( gave me a shitty look, maybe because i Had bumpers on mine! :D) and he didn't do a cut n fold on the rear quarters. I could tell because the bottom of the quarters were flapping in the wind.

what type off use is your xj for. do you want to flex or just go thur some mud. you only want 3inch lift now but in a year or so you will probaly want 6+ niches of lift on longarms.thats what happen with me now i'm saving for the long arm upgrade

what type off use is your xj for. do you want to flex or just go thur some mud. you only want 3inch lift now but in a year or so you will probaly want 6+ niches of lift on longarms.thats what happen with me now i'm saving for the long arm upgrade

I apprecaite the responses guys!

Thats always the way it works! haha I just got rid of my Z so right now this is my daily driver. Until I pick up another car Im going to keep it somewhat low. Most of the off-roading I will be doing though will be on rough unmaintained forest service roads and the occasional jeep trail, to get out to the good camping spots. :) Like I said, Im not going to be doing any extreme crawling or anything, just want something that is not going to get me stuck!

Is it the control arms here that is the limitation or is it the fenders? I dont mind trimming the fenders a bit, but I dont want to cheap out on some $250 lift with spacers, so I kind have to stage my purchases here. The tires however are a necessity, if I can get some 31"-33" with trimmed fenders I will do that regardless of how silly it looks in the mean time.

I have 31" MTR's on my XJ. They did rub pretty bad on the wheel well, and the wheel well was actually cutting the tires. Now they look like they have full depth siping :/. However my rear leafs are a little saggy, but it also has extended shackles. I'd imagine even without the sag they'd still rub when flexing. I don't have the stock flares on anymore, just the bare metal fender, but I still had to cut about an inch off of it for the tire not to rub and cut. I'm willing to bet on the right obstacle it would still rub. Tis the reason why I'll be ordering my lift soon.

Also: Not totally sure on backspacing on my rims but I'm positive there is more backspacing than a stocker rim.

I would go with 33's I think they would fit with triming and stock travel. I have 33's with 3" lift and trimming but I have had 35's on it and they cleared just fine, so 33's and trimming should clear with no lift.

I have a 3" with 31x11.50x15 and steelies with 4in bs. I trimmed 2 1/2 inches off the front and cut and folded about 1 1/2 in the rear. full flex in the front the tires hit my finders slightly my back tires stay about 2 inches away with stock bumps. This picture shows my old LTB's very close to full flex.
Randompics003.jpg

Back