• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Parts Store Shocks

98XJSport

Destiny is the rising sun
Im badly in need of new shocks for my 98 XJ. I have it lifted roughly 4.5" in the rear and around 5" in the front. I just need some shocks to get me through the winter, but I need a part # for shocks that will work unmodified from a local parts store, advanced, napa, vip whatever. Just need some cheap shocks that will fit. Are there any shocks that will fit with this amount of lift, or am I going to have to order some and all that good stuff for more expensive shocks? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

The PO of my '76 CJ had installed some Monroe shocks (the blue ones - not sure what model that is!) on the rear axle. It has a 4" BDS lift, so I'm sure that Monroe would have a length to fit your XJ with 4-5" of lift.
I have Monroe Reflex shocks on my XJ (with 2" BB), and I got them while O'Reilly Auto Parts was doing a buy 3, get 1 free promotion.
The main issue is to figure out what shock length you need (from full compression to full extension) and then go to your friendly neighborhood auto parts store and let them figure out what part number you need.
I would give you the part number for the Monroes that I have on my CJ, but considering how half-a$$ed the rest of this rig has been put together I would be surprised if those shocks are the correct length! I've only had the CJ for 3 months, so I'm still sorting it out...

just order though like ntwonline.com and get some skyjacker hydros at like 30ea and free shipping! At least your getting a better (maybe MUCH better) shock with larger piston and shaft.

In my experience the slightly more expensive shocks don't last much longer than the parts store ones, unless you drop a larger amount of money. Im pretty much looking to do it as cheaply and quickly as possible, within reason of course. And since I don't have a street address its a PITA to have things shipped.

Im guessing that the only way to know the compressed/extended length you need is to remove a shock and start measuring? Something that's not an option right now, pouring rain all week and dark when I leave for work, dark when I get home.

Does anyone happen to have a shock they can measure? Any shock thats made for 4.5" of lift whould work, Then I can use the measurements to try and find a shock that way...

i did parts store shocks on my Dodge Ram 1500. they asked me all the usual stuff- what i needed, make, model, 4x2 or 4x4, ac or not (honest, what does ac have to do with shocks, WTF), and heres the kicker- and if it was lifted and if so how much.

go there and ask if they can help you. im sure they can.

Wow they actually asked that? Usually its hard to get simple stock stuff. Ill have to give it a try. The parts store guy actually being helpful..what a novel idea...

Seriously though theres a parts store a few towns over that has a guy that has an XJ lifted, maybe he would know...

98XJSport said:
In my experience the slightly more expensive shocks don't last much longer than the parts store ones, unless you drop a larger amount of money. Im pretty much looking to do it as cheaply and quickly as possible, within reason of course. And since I don't have a street address its a PITA to have things shipped.

Im guessing that the only way to know the compressed/extended length you need is to remove a shock and start measuring? Something that's not an option right now, pouring rain all week and dark when I leave for work, dark when I get home.

Does anyone happen to have a shock they can measure? Any shock thats made for 4.5" of lift whould work, Then I can use the measurements to try and find a shock that way...

So... Tell me what shock you going to get thats not a oil filled gabiel for less then like 25-30$ ea? One that I am sure I wouldnt want even on my POS heep. And you say your about to drive "a few towns over", but no where between you and that few towns over do you know anyone (including your own) that has a real address?? Must suck. Wonder how you get yoru tax returns or any mail.. Umm...

In any case... Why would you want to spend even 15$ ea only to have to replace them sometime in the near future (expecially if the conditions are as bad as you discribe there) with another set of 15$ ea shocks. Both not being worth the box they come in, in ride and dampining..

YJ fronts with BPEs and ZJ rears are what I have been running for a while now. cheap blue monroes work fine for me.

sometimes people don't have street addresses, which prevents many mail order businesses from shipping to them. it's his truck, let him figure it out without all the hate.

ROBERTK said:
So... Tell me what shock you going to get thats not a oil filled gabiel for less then like 25-30$ ea? One that I am sure I wouldnt want even on my POS heep...
Pretty much anything that doesn't have to be ordered and shipping paid for, and having to wait a week to get.

ROBERTK said:
And you say your about to drive "a few towns over", but no where between you and that few towns over do you know anyone (including your own) that has a real address?? Must suck. Wonder how you get yoru tax returns or any mail.. Umm...

I can get mail, through a post office box that is a half hour away. But for anything bigger than that, UPS or FedEx will not deliver ot here because I don't have a PHYSICAL address that means anything in utheir books. I can't even get a newspaper delivered within 15 mins of here. If I do have to get something delivered I can get it delivered to family several towns away, but if I can go to a parts store near where I work, which is over an hour away from where I live, then hell yeah Im going to do that. No wait, no shipping charges, no worries about having someone there to sign for the stuff.

ROBERTK said:
In any case... Why would you want to spend even 15$ ea only to have to replace them sometime in the near future (expecially if the conditions are as bad as you discribe there) with another set of 15$ ea shocks. Both not being worth the box they come in, in ride and dampining..

I would rather spend $15 a shock and replace them in 1-2 years than $30 a shock and replace them in 1.5-2.5 years. Lots of long days on washboarded dirt roads that nothing rides well on. Then when you are on tar you get all the wonderful frost heaves and pot holes... Unless I spend a lot more on prerunner shocks or something like that nothing lasts significantly longer than the other. I agree a set of $15 shocks can't compared to other nice high quality shock out there, but I can't afford that, and the $15 shocks before winter will be safer and ride better than the ones on there now...

andyr354 said:
YJ fronts with BPEs and ZJ rears are what I have been running for a while now. cheap blue monroes work fine for me.

So just stock YJ fronts and Stock ZJ rears are long enough for 4.5" lift?

Thats the kind of info Im looking for, the problem comes in with BPE's... gonna need more research on that topic.

ok last reply here to this thread as it is going as so many others go, but thought that a little info would clear the fog for ya, doesnt seem to be though..

IF you read the post I did earlier..... NTWonline.com as well as Many others out there will Ship for FREE! then you also dont have tax (dont know if maine does or not, but it doesnt matter due to mail order). As for shipping. Most all stores will ship at your choice of methods. Tell them USPS and wha la there ya go.. As for signing.. Well USPS to your local mail pick up area should be just fine if you have to see a person and not just walk in and take your mail off a table?

As for those "cheap blue monroes" well those would be the monro-matic plus (unless monroe redid thier line up recently, like last week) and those are about a 30-40$ Ea shock. Plus the cost of bar pin eliminators, and tell me yoru local auto parts store will have those? So now what? Mail order? :doh:

As for hate.. Thats not a accurate discription here, its more like trying to lead that horse to water only to find that the horse stops to eat grass and then dies of dhydration...

But if your destine to try and save a buck to spend two...

GO to gorancho.com
download both the shock spec and shock application catalogs in PDF
Open them up and notice that the upper and lower mountings for the front stock # shock
then scan the pdf till you find a same upper mounting in the length you need (I know you want someone to tell you what Your vehicle needs :rolleyes: but thats on you to take a measurement unless your happy with what rancho says your veh at your estimated lift is at). Then once you find that part # that fits what length and mounting you need. Take that part number and scan the fitment application guide till you find that number in a stock high rig. Then call your local parts store and ask for a shock for that veh that you found is the same as what you need..

Oh and incase you didnt figure it, repeat for rear.....

Or I guess you can just sit back and hope someone here tells you the right fitment for your rig. Just depends on how well you want the fitment to be....

Peace...

Out.....

I actually have to walk in and open a little tiny lock box, as I can't get out of work in time to get to the counter to pick up packages... As I keep saying it's not worth the hassle if there is the option of going to a parts store.

And I also noted without modification, although if the only option is to use a BPE then obviously I would have to order shocks online. But thats not what I was asking for.

And thanks for the rancho link, although it doesn't have application for lifted 97+ XJs unless I missed something... Im assuming thats the fog clearing info for you.

A more accurate description would be trying to lead a horse to water when you don't really know where it is..

What Im asking for is if anyone has used a shock from a parts store for a 4.5" lift, and what was the part # for it? Simple question, so I thought...

I'm running exploder rear shocks on the rear and you can use F150 rear shocks (1997 - 2003) on the front - this is for 6" of lift. With the exploder rears, I had to swap out the barpins and lower bushings with the ones that were already on there, the ford stuff is slightly different.

98XJSport said:
And thanks for the rancho link, although it doesn't have application for lifted 97+ XJs unless I missed something... Im assuming thats the fog clearing info for you.

ROBERTK said:
ok GO to gorancho.com
Open them up and notice that the upper and lower mountings for the front stock # shock
then scan the pdf till you find a same upper mounting in the length you need (I know you want someone to tell you what Your vehicle needs :rolleyes: but thats on you to take a measurement unless your happy with what rancho says your veh at your estimated lift is at). Then once you find that part # that fits what length and mounting you need. Take that part number and scan the fitment application guide till you find that number in a stock high rig. Then call your local parts store and ask for a shock for that veh that you found is the same as what you need..

Its called a little research. Savy?

!!!1

ROBERTK said:
ok last reply here to this thread as it is going as so many others go

ROBERTK said:
unless your happy with what rancho says your veh at your estimated lift is at

Thats the problem, they don't have my vehicle at estimated lift. They have XJ up to 97 on 3".

1996cc said:
I'm running exploder rear shocks on the rear and you can use F150 rear shocks (1997 - 2003) on the front - this is for 6" of lift. With the exploder rears, I had to swap out the barpins and lower bushings with the ones that were already on there, the ford stuff is slightly different

Thanks for the info, but my bushings are shot as well, I think. Otherwise that would be a good combo to try. And thank you for understanding the question.

98XJSport said:
Thanks for the info, but my bushings are shot as well, I think. Otherwise that would be a good combo to try. And thank you for understanding the question.

I'm sure your barpins are fine. And they will fit into the bushings on the new shocks. On the lower end, the only difference is the exploders had a metal sleeve that needed to be removed, but the bushing was the right size. However, on mine (les schwab's - made by gabriel), the sleeve was bonded to the rubber, so I had to swap the whole thing. If you find new ones where the sleeve is separate, you could just remove it.

my buddy lifted his suzuki samurai about 6in and needed shocks. we went down to the parts store and we(me,my buddy, and the worker guy) figured out what the top and bottom mounts for both rear and front shocks were labled as. then we measured his stock shock compredded and extended. we then added 6in to both measurements. then we searched through the phone book sized shock index they had in the store. after trial and error of the clerk getting and opening prolly 20 boxes of shocks we found a full set of light truck shocks that worked. that would be my advice. takes a lil while but you can sort it out that way. oh and his shocks worked out pretty well.

Im lost, i dont understand. Going with cheaper shocks is cool with me, its your jeep, But really, really really really, go measure the amount of darn travel, if you get wet, you get wet, you and a buddy could have it done in the same amount of time it takes to burn a smoke at work, and since you have a 5 up front, and a 4.5 in the back, it will really help you out to measure it right, and most parts stores will help you measure it if you have any questions.

Go ahead and get the parts where you want them, and i understand the whole i dont mind paying taxes to have my parts now thing, but for goodness sakes, do it right. Then when you want to buy better shocks, you will still have your messurements as well.

Im not taking sides, just dont want to see you fawk yourself in the end.:soapbox:

ROBERTK said:
GO to gorancho.com
then scan the pdf till you find a same upper mounting in the length you need (I know you want someone to tell you what Your vehicle needs :rolleyes: but thats on you to take a measurement unless your happy with what rancho says your veh at your estimated lift is at). Then once you find that part # that fits what length and mounting you need. Take that part number and scan the fitment application guide till you find that number in a stock high rig. Then call your local parts store and ask for a shock for that veh that you found is the same as what you need..Peace...
This is the reality,just spent 3 hours flexing my sons front SOA conversion.Measured 16X, add/subtract all the variables,pick some shocks to start running the numbers on and go from there(ended up w/ rancho 99028"s).

Back