• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FUEL INJECTOR CLEANER

304jstevet

NAXJA Forum User
CAN SOMEBODY ANSWER ME SOMETHIN, i HAVE A 96 JEEP XJ WITH 4.0 AND I WAS TOLD MY INJECTORS NEEDED REPLACED, ALSO WAS TOLD THAT IS UNUSUAL TO HAVE TO REPLACE FUEL INJECTORS, JUST CLEAN THEM, WHAT IS THE BEST FUEL ADDITIVE THAT I CAN USE TO HELP CLEAN THE INJECTORS, SOMETHING I CAN JUST ADD TO THE TANK THAT WILL WORK ITS WAY THROUGH THE INJECTORS, MY JEEP STARTS UP FINE WHEN COLD BUT IDLES ROUGH FOR THE FIRST 30 SECONDS IN PARK, AFTER ITS SHUT OFF I HAVE TO GIVE IT SOME GAS TO GET IT STARTED AGAIN, ANY IDEAS?

You know that typing in all cap’s is considered yelling so I would rethink the way you write your post.
So when was the last time you did a tune up sounds like the idle is a little low try checking the plugs and see if they are fouled out.

First idea:

Turn off the caps.

Second idea:

BG44K, follow the directions.

Third idea:

Get a set of Ford (Bosch) 19lb orange top injectors with the 4-hole nozzles for about $30 at a salvage yard.

Stop one, NAPA for plugs, wires, cap and rotor, second stop, Advanced Auto for a couple of 20 ounce bottles Chevron techron FUEL SYSTEM CLEANER not injector cleaner, the fuel system cleaner has a higher level of cleaning solvents.

BG44K is the closest thing to magic in a bottle you will find. The rest doesn't even come close.

Thanks for all the ideas, I had the plugs replaced, fuel filter, and ran seafoam through it, the fuel filter and plugs helped alot but I have some hesitation around 55-60 mph but it goes away when I give it more gas or let off of the gas, another thing, is Chevron system cleaner better than seafoam.

Oh, and it still has a starting problem after its warmed up, it idles rough at first cold start and settles down after about 30 seconds, it will start though after warmed up but I still have to give it some gas, is this all symptoms of needing new fuel injectors?

If you ran Seafoam through the intake, you did nothing to clean your injectors. In the fuel tank, you might have helped somewhat. 44K can't be beat as myself and others have said. Chevron Techron is a very weak formula and won't clean injectors nearly as well as one dose of 44K.

Thanks everyone for your advice on everything, I found that basically 44K can be bought at alot of dealerships in my area or good ol' eBay, I tried Lucas FI also before and seafoam, I think I'm gonna experiment with 44K and see what happens, Thanks Again.

Has your '96 been to the dealer for the recall? Had mine done about a year ago-don't know if it ran better, but it felt a little different. I have a can of BG44K in my tank right now. Did about 250 miles round trip yesterday, and I have to say, it feels and sounds a little better. I had an occasional slight mis-fire (audible only because of the loud muffler) and now it is gone. Last time I pulled the plugs, either #3 or #4 was darker than the others. After the BG is finished, I'm curious to see if it will be cleaner. Although, it runs well enough not to mess with.
I tried the BG because I'm chasing a hard cold start, and it was suggested that I may have a weepy injector, losing pressure overnight. If it were an injector stuck open, I would hope the BG would clean it, curing the problem. So far, it hasn't, leading me to look again at the fuel pump. I don't mind changing the pump, or the injectors (which I may do anyway), but I just don't want to get the shovel out and start dumping cash, when some more investigation may give me the solution!

Joe-You suggest the 19# orange injectors, but the list I printed from here a while ago says that a '96 wants 23.2#/hr, at 49PSI. Are they close enough for the ECU to compensate, and are they of the proper impedance? I'm going to Harry's U Pull It on Thurs., and if the weather holds, I may just grab a set. What's the best way to clean a used set, or are they better off coming from a service like 5.0 Motorsports? Thanks!

You could run the higher pressure ones. There were some good write ups in Mod tech, and some work has been done with injectors from Neons too. My main laptop is broken so I can't look up the others for you. Five-o has a good rep for advice and service, it wouldn't hurt to call them.

Thank you for that advice, but I was hoping somebody may have had it done before on their XJ and may have had a round-a-bout price, but thanks anyway Captain Obvious

Back