• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hood lift assist?

The Adam Blaster

NAXJA Forum User
I thought I saw the product on the board somewhere, but I've been looking and can't seem to find it.
Does anyone have a link to the supplier that makes the lift-assist mechanism for the hood?

RJR said:
Lift the hood of your Jeep with just one hand. Finally there is an assist to lift and hold the hood. No more fooling with that awkward and dangerous prop rod.

Awkward maybe, dangerous though? I think thats a little much.

Go-Jeep has a writeup on how to make your own as well

The reason I'm looking for one is due to a bike accdent - I only have one good arm. (My left)
Dangerous for me in respect I usually get my tricep scratched up a bit when I use the back of my arm to hold the hood open while I pull the prop. rod up.
Not so bad in the winter time when I'm wearing a heavy coat, but in the warmer weather with just a t-shirt, I usually end up getting my arm a bit chewed up.

You can also make your own from worn rear lift gate struts.

676a0035.jpg

676a0032.jpg

It only cost me $2 for the ball joint at the junk yard. That was $2 entrance fee. I picked up three of them and when I went to pay for them the guy at the counter smiled and said no charge. All the rest was stuff laying around the garage.

I know Quadratec is a sponsor here so I don't want to slam them too hard. They carry a lot of products but I have yet to see anything they sell that can be found cheaper any number of places. That is even with their 10% NAXJA discount.

FNF

dude, make your own! it's RETARDED simple..

use an old hatch strut thats not strong enough anymore. it'll still work for this.

best. mod. EVER.

dude, make your own! it's RETARDED simple..

use an old hatch strut thats not strong enough anymore. it'll still work for this.

best. mod. EVER.
Did you really have to Capitalize "RETARDED"?

Enough said:greensmok

Awkward maybe, dangerous though? I think thats a little much.

Go-Jeep has a writeup on how to make your own as well

It was a subaru not and XJ but years ago we where installing a motor and I was wiggling it back and forth trying to get it to slip onto the torque converter when somehow the prop rod poped out. My head was really low trying to eye the motor alignment when it happened and the hood latch (just one in the center on subarus) got me right in the soft spot. I dropped like a rock and had a bad head ache for day. I bet dropping one on your fingers wouldn't feel good. Never underestimate the ability of stupid people like me to turn everyday objects into dangerous ones

It was a subaru not and XJ but years ago we where installing a motor and I was wiggling it back and forth trying to get it to slip onto the torque converter when somehow the prop rod poped out. My head was really low trying to eye the motor alignment when it happened and the hood latch (just one in the center on subarus) got me right in the soft spot. I dropped like a rock and had a bad head ache for day. I bet dropping one on your fingers wouldn't feel good. Never underestimate the ability of stupid people like me to turn everyday objects into dangerous ones

I had something similar to this happen. A buddy was helping me under the hood of my XJ. He hit his head on the hood and then when he jumped back, he had releases the weight from the hood prop, it fell down, then the hood came crashing down on my head. The drivers side hood latch gashed the back of my head pretty good.

I imagine fabbing stuff is much more difficult with one arm, both mine work fine, and I am usually wishing for a couple more.

Nominated!

dont blame you're arm. def leppard sucked before, and afterwards, but that guy can play drums 1 handed.

in all seriousness, i didnt see his one armed comment.. but it changes nothing. THIS ISNT FABRICATION WORK, it's screwing in a couple sheet metal screws.

quit over complicating this. if you can install the kit, you can fab your own.
im not gonna bash your fabrication skills, but if THIS is beyond you... psssh! lame.

go ahead and nominate me, im off to go do more real fabrication work. while you sit and complain about your lack of skills. =)

dont blame you're arm. def leppard sucked before, and afterwards, but that guy can play drums 1 handed.

in all seriousness, i didnt see his one armed comment.. but it changes nothing. THIS ISNT FABRICATION WORK, it's screwing in a couple sheet metal screws.

quit over complicating this. if you can install the kit, you can fab your own.
im not gonna bash your fabrication skills, but if THIS is beyond you... psssh! lame.

go ahead and nominate me, im off to go do more real fabrication work. while you sit and complain about your lack of skills. =)
Does you wants a cookie?

Back