• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new help

natesjeep

NAXJA Forum User
hi im replacing the engine in my 97 cherokee 4.0 and i had to drill out the two top bolts that go through the bell housing and bolts to the engine block. i thought that i would be able to go th the dealer and get new ones there but they said they dont have them. so if anyone nows where i can get these it would be greatly appreciated.

They're 3/8-16 thread, the originals have an E12 inverse torx head. Save yourself some headaches and just get standard 3/8-16 grade 8s, I forget how long they are, want to say somewhere between 1.25" and 1.75", just measure the depth of the hole + thickness of the bellhousing with a coathangar wire and subtract at least 3/16" for clearance at the bottom of the hole.

EDIT: oh... and if it's an automatic, put the torque converter into the transmission and then bolt the transmission and THEN torque converter to the engine and flexplate, don't put the torque converter on the flexplate first because you will wreck the pump gear in the transmission.

Yes. You almost certainly chewed up your input gear on the fluid pump in the transmission... it takes a lot of luck to NOT do so while inserting the torque converter wrong.

i bolted it to the flex plate first then figured out to put it on the tranny do you think i might of mest something up.

Did you try and mate the engine/torque converter to trans or figure it out before hand?

so how would i fix this do i have to buy a new tranny or is it a cheap fix. also what is the input fluid pump. when i did put the tc on the tranny it went on fine.

I would inspect the torque converter to see if it has been bent or cracked where it engages the front pump. I would pull the pump and inspect it for any damage.

sorry but i dont really know anything about the tc or the tranny this is all new to me what is the front pump and is the pump on the tranny or the tc.do i have to pull the motor back out toinspect it. thanks

Ok, the torque converter slides over the transmission input shaft. At the front of the transmission there is a pump, that pump provides the hydraulic pressure that enables the automatic transmission to function. With out the pump, no hydraulic pressure, nothing works.

The torque converter slides over the transmission input shaft, then the "fingers" of the torque converter engage the transmission's pump--that round thing bolted to the front of the transmission that the input shaft passes through. You should inspect that the pump has not been damaged where the torque converter engages it.

Not exactly related but here is a link to good diagnostics for the AW4: http://www.transonline.com/transdigest/magazines/1997-10/Shift Pointers/index.html

Did you try and mate the engine/torque converter to trans or figure it out before hand?
i tried to mate the engine/tc to the tranny but couldnt get it to conect so i took off the tc and put it on the tranny. if i do have to replace it how easy is it to pull the pump and is there anything that i should make sure and do when i put it back in. do you know how much it is to replace these parts. thanks i have learned alot.

Back