• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Level Sensor

Joteism

NAXJA Forum User
Hello -

I recently bought my 97 Country and now it looks like it needs the oil pan gasket replaced due to leaks. So I figured I'd go ahead and replace the oil pan while getting the gasket replaced. The car is already at the garage, but before dropping it off I quickly glanced at the oil pan to see if it has the oil level sensor, but saw nothing. So I ordered the oil pan without an oil level sensor hole. Now I'm thinking I may not have done such great job checking if it really has the hole or not. According to the previous owner, the oil pan has never been replaced - So, did the '97 Countrys come with a factory oil level sensor?? Pardon the lengthy rant leading to the question. I was unable to find anything by searching the forum or google.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. The garage is closed today and the car is locked inside (that's why I can't call my mechanic). I have until 6pm est to change my order.

No such thing as an oil level sensor on XJs to the best of my knowledge... except maybe as part of the (these days) super rare "system sentry" option on 84-86 and maybe a little later XJ Wagoneers.

The oil dipstick tube on the XJ goes into the side of the block near the back on the passenger side, so no dipstick hole in the oil pan either.

Why'd you have the pan replaced as well as the gasket? Badly rusted? Unless it was dented or rusted there is absolutely no reason to replace it, except dumping more money.

Yep, with Kastein on this one.

Also, are you having the RMS--rear main seal--done at the same time? Only makes sense. Make sure you have the shop re-torque your rod and main cap bolts, they work loose over time. One last thing, depending on your mileage, you might want to change the oil pump--cheap peace of mind.

Haa - You guys are lifesavers! I guess that explains why the parts store charges about $20 more for the holeless pan.

Yeah, it was bent pretty bad, but everything else around there looked solid.

joe - I will indeed have the RMS done and the oil pump is covered by warranty, so the mechanic did advice on changing that as well. I have had some issues with the oil pressure (never going above 30) and occasionally stayin below 10 (check gauge) when starting up warm.

Other than these slight 'imperfections', She's gorgeous!

Thanks for all the help!

IIRC, correct psi level is 10psi per 1k rpm. Get a mech gauge and check your pressure to confirm against.

I think the only 4.0s that had those sensors were super loaded ZJ's or WJ's, but I've yet to see one and sold MANY 4.0 oil pans.

Back