• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

project "Frank" a.k.a. shop leftovers

z_lindig

NAXJA Forum User
i picked up a relatively straight '93 with the 4.0/AW4/231, D30/8.25 for $400 a couple months ago.

100_0162.jpg

it had been in an accident involving a runaway tree, so someone had done a poor repair involving a grey fender, hood, and header panel from a comanche.

100_0163.jpg

250,000 miles of neglect and sitting with a window open netted these results:

img_0371.jpg

img_0372.jpg

it wasn't as bad as some XJs i'd seen from the northeast, so i was thankful it was only on the passenger side, and the frame was still perfect.

i started collecting parts and thinking about what i wanted to do as far as tire size / height i wanted... i like my vehicles to be about ass-height so i figured 33x10.50R15 tires on about 3" springs would be just about right.

i'm on a shoestring budget, so my options are ALL used parts... begging, borrowing, and scavenging; hence the name frank, as in frankenstein. lame i know, that's all i could come up with.

anyways, i needed to address the rust issue, so i contemplated spending around $160 on replacement panels... then i finally deciding that instead of just thinking of fixing the rust, i'll actually do something about it, meaning going to the metal yard and making my own repair panels. WAY WAY WAY too much work involved.

rustrepair1.jpg

rustrepair2.jpg

zack1.jpg

came up with this:

zack2.jpg

yeah, not necessarilly beautiful, but it's pretty strong and better than what was there, plus i learned a thing or two about welding sheetmetal. after it was all said and done i'd say i had about 30 hours or so into figuring it all out.

i was dying to start installing parts, so i cleaned up all my used goodies and painted everything...

zack3.jpg

sorry for the crappy cell phone pics. it's just too handy to not take pictures with it, rather than an expensive digital camera. in case you can't tell it's skyjacker 3" springs (used, $20), and adjustable control arms($100 with drop brackets).

i took everything off the frontend in preparation for replacing mismatched fender/header panel and to fix the floppy upper driver's door hinge.i cleaned the inner fenders and painted them (flat black, of course, you'll notice a theme). the PO experienced a power steering leak and had just added fluid for what looked like years. NASTY! so half a gallon of simple green and getting really dirty netted this:

zack4.jpg

i did the cut/bang/fold of the pinch seam to avoid any tire clearance issues. figured now would be as good of a time as any...

zack5.jpg

i also took the axle out and douched it really good. painted it and slung everything into place. as for shocks, we had some JK rubicon shocks, that looked like they should work. i drilled out the vulcanized bushings to 5/8" and installed some bar pin eliminators that had been sitting in the toolbox for a couple years.

zack6.jpg

i also replaced the scungy factory bumpstops with some random bumper of sorts. looks like they should work. anyways, with the front sitting under it's own weight i put the tires (KM2s) and wheels (2004 rocky mountain edition wrangler made by alcoa, used of course) on and admired my handiwork.

to get a better visual, i hacked the grey fender out at the flare line:

zack7.jpg

zack8.jpg

we had a set of 35" KMs laying around and i wanted to see what they look like:

zack10.jpg

while i'm not a fan of 10" wheels with like 2" backspacing, it definitely looks more aggressive! hmm...

i suppose that just about catches us up to where i am now. some idiot backed into it the other day and smashed the bumper all to hell, so i got to looking around the scrap bin and found a JK bumper and threw it up to look at it:

zack11.jpg

zack12.jpg

i know that the JK bumper is even flimsier than TJs but i really like the way it's tucked really close. the crash cans would definitely have to go, but a little plating and gusseting... ? i don't want to put a lot of time into it though, as i'd like to eventually have something much more substantial than that in the future.

i think i'm going to pull the trigger on using this bumper. i have a question about doing some mounts for it though... how far up do the hdoffroadengineering front stiffeners go up to? i'm going to be ordering fronts and mids this week. i had the idea of making the mounts extend back to the steering box and tie into a couple of other holes, at the same time extending through the bumper to serve as shackle mounts... thoughts?

little update... installed the '95 oldsmobile aurora reverse lights:

zack13.jpg

i picked up some 35" SSRs and put them on the wheels... i'm going to need to run some spacers with that much backspacing:

zack14.jpg

cut flares and raise them about 2" and stretched 'em. i forgot to take a pic of the flares, but i'm pretty pleased with the way they turned out. cut the fenders and took a spring out to check clearances:

zack15.jpg

zack16.jpg

looks like fenders will be clear, just the battery box drop down point is going to need "massaged" somewhat. i've seen a few people cut them out, or as T&T did, removed the whole front panel and fab a new one, has anyone had luck with just beating the hell out of that point?

Small world...Sheridan. Spent a few years working in the Srings, Green River, Kemmerer, and Pinedale. Still like that corner of the state.

Back