• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aw-4 concerns

Waterhammer

NAXJA Forum User
I pulled my tranny out when a leak developed from somewhere up inside the bellhousing, aft of the flex-plate. It was either the front seal or oil pump o-ring so I replaced them both. I have 130,000mi on this tranny so searching around I found another from a '99 with only 22,000mi on it and bought it. Mine's a '00. Does anyone know off the top of their heads if there's any major differences which would keep me from doing this swap? Also, I pretty much trusted what this guy said because I had no way of really veryifing mileage or anything else (said jeep was totalled so he parted it out). He let me check whatever I wanted, didn't seem to hide anything and the price was right so I took it. 22,000 vs. 130,000 seemed good to me. The solenoid harness, which I broke out of fustration on mine, is 250.00 at the dealer anyway. Can anybody think of anything else I made need to check before I throw this thing in (beside pan and fluid)? And finally, while I have this thing out any suggestions on replacing the torque converter? Are there good upgrades out there or should I just put the old one back in. Thanks in advance...

The tranny should be a direct swap. The transmission side of the solenoid harness is not too difficult to swap - you will need to drop the pan to unplug the solenoids and unbolt the feedthrough on the drivers side to fish it out.

Honestly though, I wouldn't worry too much about swapping the tranny as the AW4 is a fairly reliable tranny and easily goes over 200k.

Back