• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to remove stock steering shaft

WESJxj

NAXJA Forum User
Im trying to remove my stock steering shaft. Im trying to get it to plunge but it wont. I need to remove it so i can pull off the bodyside engine mount to re-inforce it. Any tricks??? Thanks for any info! Sorry this is posted in the wrong section!!!!

Last edited:
don't know if you figured it out yet, but I recently had to replace my stock steering shaft, and what I did was I unbolted the steering box, and dropped it a little until the shaft was pretty easy to remove...it's a lot of work, but it can be done with minor headaches.

You need to remove both 13mm bolts completely as they are keyed for the shafts they slide over. Some have had luck with sliding it up on the shaft at the firewall allowing enough play at the box to get it out and other's haven't. Best thing I could recommend is slide it up towards the firewall and remove 2 of the 3 steering box bolts leaving the top front one allowing the box to rotate down and forward. Then should have enough room to get it out.

I just loosened the bolt clamping the shaft on the box, and wedged a big flat head screwdriver in between the shaft and box and it popped apart.

Back