• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How many rattle cans?

uRabbit

NAXJA Forum User
My '90 is loving white... But only when he's dirty. Otherwise, he feels a bit... Lacking in pigment. So he's thinking of going green. Olive drab to be precise. Browsed the paint topics here and didn't find this.

How many rattle cans should it take and how many coats? And I assume sanding would be necessary, so what grit for that? Do I need to primer and/or undercoat? As for the handles, I assume just removing them and painting flat black over their existing black would work.

This would be my first painting project.

^^^ Nice tips and advice. I did my CJ7 last year using olive drab satin finish and used about 12 cans. It's held up nicely, but has faded some. The nice thing is, if it gets scratched you just pop into walmart and pick up another can.

Nice write up! Bookmarked.

After thinking about it, I think I may just wait till I have my 31's on there and fenders trimmed. Would probably loom ridiculous on my bone stock Jeep on 225/75's.

*shrug* I'm a strange person with a strange thinking process. Haha. And I am unsure of where to do it. Maybe just my driveway and lay down a tarp.

Where? Tarp? Just park it in your driveway, sand, prime, sand, paint, sand, paint. There's no need for special equipment or booths or anything when doing a spray can job. Although, you may want to pick up one of those attachments that makes it like a squeeze trigger. All you need to sand initially is to rough up the original paint to give the new stuff something to adhere too. When you go to buy the sand paper, they'll have descriptors telling you what type of work is recommended. For the sanding of primer and your first coat, you'll want something very light, like 400 or so to remove any texture, ie graininess, bumps, runs, etc.

i really dont remember how many cans but i agree with darky here...if its nothing too major, and youre not all too worried about the way it comes out just do it in the driveway....this is what i did all rattlecanned!

before:
4027773431_8bc1c5d8ab.jpg

After:
PICT1171.jpg

And seeing it in person, you wouldn't guess it was rattlecanned. It came out really well!

Back